Lord Ashcrofts VC collection to air on TV

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bondi-Babe-Magnet, Oct 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lord Ashcroft has 142 VC's in his own personnel collection and they are to be the centre of a new 3 hour series to be shown on Channel 5 in November, The Prince of Wales is narrating.

Should be worth looking out for.

2. Wonder how much they cost him, bet they weren't cheap. Hope he ain't got my great Uncles, last I heard it was in the RWF museum, best I check on that what with cutbacks etc they may have flogged it!
  3. He is in the process of sorting out a permanant residence for them so the public can see them. He always outbids people at auctions, at least they stay in this country.

4. Good on him. He gets my vote.
  5. When in Nov? is there a link cheers
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Great link, BBM. Hopefully wont miss that beauty.

Puts my RAMC WW1 collection to shame!!
  7. Is this the billionaire Baron Ashcroft of Belize?
  8. Victoria Cross Heroes, written by Michael Ashcroft is published on Monday, 6 November 2006. The book, which is 335 pages long and superbly illustrated, is published by Headline. Its publication coincides with a three-part television series of the same name to be shown by Five from Sunday, 19 November.

9. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

is there a list of which recipients VCs are in his collection?
  10. Thanks for the link. This is one to watch.

11. Does anyone have a list of the VC's held by his lordship? We think he may have bought one of our family members VC, it 'went' to a private buyer.
    It would be nice to know and would be nice to be able to view it.
  12. Thanks for that Merchantman, our man is not named in the article but we will certainly be watching the program when it comes out - I suppose there is no harm in emailing him and asking him the question!
  13. And there I was feeling pretty good about having tracked down most of phantom family medals!