Looting the Reich - May 1945

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Another insightful film from Mark Felton :

Having both seen and read the story behind the 'Monuments Men ' , I was familiar with the vast recovery of Nazi gold at Merkers in Thuringia.

What I did not appreciate was how the post-war SS old boys club was financed.

Including the re-appearance of one Otto Skorzeny in post war Madrid, with a significant personal fortune.
He died there in 1975.

The post script throwaway line made me smile.

Whilst the Allies recovered around 100 tonnes of Nazi gold in the mine at Merkers - an estimated $8billion remains unaccounted for.........

Good hunting !

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Watch the fillum.....most of it was the Reichsbank gold reserve rather than Herr und Frau Finkelstein's molars.

What the SS could not steal was in the hands of the Red Army a few days later, ended up in Mocba .
An earlier generation might even have called it ' reparations'......

One of the questions in my mind is what happened to the gold recovered at Merkers.....and how much of it got shipped back to Kentucky, Zip code 40121. This is one version :

In mid-August (1945) experts from the United States Treasury Department and the Bank of England completed the job of weighing and appraising the gold, gold coin, and silver bars that had been captured.

The total value of the gold found in Germany was placed at $262,213,000.

Also weighed and appraised was $270,469 worth of silver, as well as a ton of platinum.
Eight bags of rare gold coins had not been appraised, nor had the SS loot.(67)

The article continues:

The story of the Merkers treasure still continues. During the summer of 1948, most of the records of the Reichsbank's Precious Metals Department were microfilmed by the U.S. Army and, interestingly enough, turned over to Albert Thoms, who was working for the successor bank to the Reichsbank. These records have subsequently disappeared in Germany, and there has been a search for them the past two years in the belief they would shed light on how much non-monetary gold (e.g., dental gold) was melted down and mixed with the monetary gold (i.e., central bank gold) and thus indicate how much restitution still should be made to victims of Nazi persecution and their heirs.(71)

At an international Nazi Gold conference held in London in December 1997, several countries agreed to relinquish their claims to their share of the remaining 5.5 metric tons (worth about sixty million dollars) still held by the Tripartite Gold Commission (TGC) and donate it to a Nazi Persecution Relief Fund to help survivors of the Holocaust.

Almost all of the claimant nations similarly agreed to such a policy during the course of 1998.

Early in September 1998, in a ceremony held in Paris, the TGC announced its task was completed and went out of business.

Thus, the Merkers story ends on a noble, selfless, just, and moral note, as upwards of fifteen countries were willing to forego receiving gold stolen from their nations by the Nazis and allow it to be used as compensation for victims of Nazi persecution.

' Just is the Wheel - swerving not a hair....'

Last edited:
How much was found in that Nazi gold train in Poland?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
None - it never existed

Awol

LE
Watch the fillum.....most of it was the Reichsbank gold reserve rather than Herr und Frau Finkelstein's molars.
What the SS could not steal was in the hands of the Red Army a few days later, ended up in Mocba .
An earlier generation might even have called it ' reparations'......

One of the questions in my mind is what happened to the gold recovered at Merkers.....and how much of it got shipped back to Kentucky, Zip code 40121. This is one version :

In mid-August (1945) experts from the United States Treasury Department and the Bank of England completed the job of weighing and appraising the gold, gold coin, and silver bars that had been captured.

The total value of the gold found in Germany was placed at $262,213,000.

Also weighed and appraised was $270,469 worth of silver, as well as a ton of platinum.
Eight bags of rare gold coins had not been appraised, nor had the SS loot.(67)

The article continues:

The story of the Merkers treasure still continues. During the summer of 1948, most of the records of the Reichsbank's Precious Metals Department were microfilmed by the U.S. Army and, interestingly enough, turned over to Albert Thoms, who was working for the successor bank to the Reichsbank. These records have subsequently disappeared in Germany, and there has been a search for them the past two years in the belief they would shed light on how much non-monetary gold (e.g., dental gold) was melted down and mixed with the monetary gold (i.e., central bank gold) and thus indicate how much restitution still should be made to victims of Nazi persecution and their heirs.(71)

At an international Nazi Gold conference held in London in December 1997, several countries agreed to relinquish their claims to their share of the remaining 5.5 metric tons (worth about sixty million dollars) still held by the Tripartite Gold Commission (TGC) and donate it to a Nazi Persecution Relief Fund to help survivors of the Holocaust.

Almost all of the claimant nations similarly agreed to such a policy during the course of 1998.

Early in September 1998, in a ceremony held in Paris, the TGC announced its task was completed and went out of business.

Thus, the Merkers story ends on a noble, selfless, just, and moral note, as upwards of fifteen countries were willing to forego receiving gold stolen from their nations by the Nazis and allow it to be used as compensation for victims of Nazi persecution.

' Just is the Wheel - swerving not a hair....'
Nice gesture, but 60 million dollars spread across 15 Western nations is peanuts.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nope - I just tested it on the 'Air Afrikaans' clip....Jadeen and Marla still make me laugh out loud so, no my SOH is in fine fettle thank you :)

Latest Threads