Loony Left MP refuses to thank Armed Forces and accuses them of preying on vulnerable teens

We've had folks of similar opinion hanging around us on armed forces day in the past when we've had one of our vehicles parked up in town. Kids being kids they love having a climb into the drivers seat or a sit behind the GPMG while their parents take a picture, which then has these lot hanging round loudly saying "I think it's disgusting that the army are recruiting kids like this" and other such waffle. Even had those "Veterans for peace" lot taking photos to put on their website to say how disgusting they think it is that the army are promoting war to children. Obviously being on duty and in a very public place we do our best smile and wave and don't rise to it, but they are irritating.
<Thread drift> Back when my age was measured in single digits (many decades ago), I had the opportunity to clamber over and sit inside what I think may have been a Ferret armoured car whilst being "supervised" by some blokes wearing coverals during a Town Fair. I was sat in one of the seats happily flipping switches/turning dials, etc. when one of the blokes in coverals lifted me out of the seat and practically threw to one side as he frantically flipped switches/turned dials, whilst describing me as a "copulating small Simian" or words to that effect. I have no idea what I did, but he was not very happy. </Thread drift>

endure

GCM
<Thread drift> Back when my age was measured in single digits (many decades ago), I had the opportunity to clamber over and sit inside what I think may have been a Ferret armoured car whilst being "supervised" by some blokes wearing coverals during a Town Fair. I was sat in one of the seats happily flipping switches/turning dials, etc. when one of the blokes in coverals lifted me out of the seat and practically threw to one side as he frantically flipped switches/turned dials, whilst describing me as a "copulating small Simian" or words to that effect. I have no idea what I did, but he was not very happy. </Thread drift>

When I was a little lad my aunt used to have a lodger called Mr Buckley who had something to do (I'm not sure what) with Chetwynd barracks in Chilwell.

He used to take me there on occasion and let me sit in one of the tanks that were kept there.

Too many words, not enough dead bad guys.

I prefer this little puppy....

In the Aerodrome, by Rex Warner, the 'Flight Lieutenant' from the 'Aerodrome' accidentally kills the Vicar at the Church Fete, demonstrating a machinegun on display. It later transpires that the Vicar was his father. It is a very interesting book on the alluring attraction of fascism.

chimera

LE
That is one of the things that piss the left off about Thatcher. Not that she crushed the unions or privatised everything but that she caused the 'working class' to realise that they too could have ambitions to rise above the station in life to which they were born thereby depriving Labour of voters.
Margaret Thatcher was also (as the only PM in living memory to have held a science degree) the first major world leader ever to speak on Climate Change (way before most people had even heard of the term) back in 1988, and a speech to the UN in 1989 and the World Climate Conference in 1990.

Interesting that in 1983 the left were vilifying the Tories for closing coal mines,and in 2021 are now protesting that the Tories are opening a new one!

Last edited:
Margaret Thatcher was also (as the only PM in living memory ever to have a science degree) the first major world leader ever to speak on Climate Change (way before most people had even heard of the term) back in 1988, and a speech to the UN in 1989 and the World Climate Conference in 1990.

Interesting that in 1983 the left were vilifying the Tories for closing coal mines,and in 2021 are now protesting about opening a new one!
Yet miner's and in particular the NUM remain 'hero workers', in their story book. Since last March I feel the teacher's union's now fancy themselves as the cutting edge of organised labour?

Ritch

LE
I shall try to respond to this sensibly...

Beth Winter should shut her stupid face and throw herself under a bus.

There. That did it.

Margaret Thatcher was also (as the only PM in living memory ever to have a science degree) the first major world leader ever to speak on Climate Change (way before most people had even heard of the term) back in 1988, and a speech to the UN in 1989 and the World Climate Conference in 1990.

Interesting that in 1983 the left were vilifying the Tories for closing coal mines,and in 2021 are now protesting about opening a new one!
Intellectual consistency and the left are rarely used in the same sentence. Just look at home many times Captain Hindsight has called on the Govt to do exactly what it has been doing (usually for some time) or how, after trashing the government for pulling out of the EU Meds Agency and telling the world the Tories want to kill your grandma that he suddenly thinks it was his idea all along.

I just wonder how Lisa Nandy's "gender-balanced human security corps" is going, because I can't see too many lads from the council estates wanting to sign up to that. Islingtonites maybe.. Not that she ever supported it, well not once it was derided for the bollocks it was, which was soon turned to denial when confronted with the video where she was wetting her knickers about the idea.

NSP

LE
Apropos of nothing more than this is the most current thread pointing out some of the foibles of Labour politicians, and I can't see or be bothered to start a thread on it, I heard news this morning that, for all their blustering about "the bill to the tax-payer for handling the pandemic" and so on, the troughing gits have been bleeding the tax-payer white during the pandemic (as have those of other parties).

MPs who wish to travel first class, especially when there's few people on the trains, should only be allowed to claim the cattle class fare and have to pay the rest themselves. As to paying for their TV licences when they've done nothing to stop the BBC charging pensioners for them again - well; stuff that!! And they should definitely be paying for their toiletries, including hand gel!! This was all supposed to have been "reformed" when the Telegraph blew it all open some years ago. Apparently not.

Plus ca change....

Apropos of nothing more than this is the most current thread pointing out some of the foibles of Labour politicians, and I can't see or be bothered to start a thread on it, I heard news this morning that, for all their blustering about "the bill to the tax-payer for handling the pandemic" and so on, the troughing gits have been bleeding the tax-payer white during the pandemic (as have those of other parties).

MPs who wish to travel first class, especially when there's few people on the trains, should only be allowed to claim the cattle class fare and have to pay the rest themselves. As to paying for their TV licences when they've done nothing to stop the BBC charging pensioners for them again - well; stuff that!! And they should definitely be paying for their toiletries, including hand gel!! This was all supposed to have been "reformed" when the Telegraph blew it all open some years ago. Apparently not.

Plus ca change....

All MP's were allowed extra expenses of £10,000 for home working due to Covid 19.

a lot of young people enter the armed forces not through choice but through lack of opportunities in the community
She's not wrong about that. I joined up to get a decent paying job because jobs on civvy street were few and far between when I left school and good jobs for Red Men were even fewer. I knew what I was doing though, and I've not regretted my choice in life since. 30 years with the colours and a warrant officer's pension in my old age; what's not to like?

NSP

LE
All MP's were allowed extra expenses of £10,000 for home working due to Covid 19.
That's nice. Actual working people have been royally stuffed whilst this lot stick their noses deeper in the trough. Maybe they should stay at home and work, then, instead of rocking around in first class railway carriages, then...?

Politicians - they disgust me.

That's nice. Actual working people have been royally stuffed whilst this lot stick their noses deeper in the trough. Maybe they should stay at home and work, then, instead of rocking around in first class railway carriages, then...?

Its was paid to people paying business rates for constituency premises under the Small Business Rates scheme. I know, we got is for our small holiday let cottage in the Dale's.

Clunker

Old-Salt
Loony Left Labour MP Beth Winter refused to add her name to the Defence Select Cttte motion in thanks to the armed forces for their support during Covid, instead going on a nutty rant about the forces "targetting vulnerable teens" from her constituency in their recruitment drives:

"“Before I begin I do have to beg to differ with the comments regarding the armed forces… yes the armed forces make a vital contribution, but any recruits of young people must be managed carefully and it must be an informed choice for young people… a lot of young people enter the armed forces not through choice but through lack of opportunities in the community so I do beg to differ on that point”"

Apology Demanded After Labour MP Suggests Armed Forces "Prey on Vulnerable Children to Hit Recruitment Targets" - Guido Fawkes (order-order.com)

I have to wonder what a warped world view would make you think that the armed forces don't provide informed choice before any young adult signs up, that it is a bad thing to join up, that there is something inherently wrong about the forces being a positive career choice for anyone struggling to find a a job in civvy street, and in any case, her comments were utterly irrelevant to the topic of the debate.
Perhap she would be willing to sign a petition to stop Press-Ganging ?

Plus ca change....

I can't see the whole article because of firewalls, however, are they claiming the whole bill or just the tax relief for home office that anyone working from home can claim?

I can't see the whole article because of firewalls, however, are they claiming the whole bill or just the tax relief for home office that anyone working from home can claim?
HMRC allow tax relief for Home Working if you do Self Assessment.

Last edited:
MPs who wish to travel first class, especially when there's few people on the trains, should only be allowed to claim the cattle class fare and have to pay the rest themselves.

On a number of trains that I've been on, if you wish to work on your laptop, first class may be the only place to get a guaranteed seat with power sockets / space / WiFi to comfortably / reasonably do so. I would like to think that any MP, of any party, would be working doing constituency business during these type of trips - despite what the papers may like to think, most of them work pretty blo*dy hard.

And £1600 on 23 tickets is only £70 / journey - the army used to spend more than that on most rail tickets for me when I was off on a course (I remember sitting on my Bergan on a train London - Catterick, looking at the ticket price that was north of £150, thinking 'Well, this was worth it').

EDIT: Just checked - the 23 trips were between London / Manchester. If I booked one now for travelling today, standard class, it would be £152.
1612267529627.png

Same time, a week out, would be £45 standard class, £64 first.
1612267627721.png

I'm unsure how often the MP's diaries change / they have to travel at short notice, but I don't think an average of £70 a trip is too bad for them. Stop getting all het up over what the Express wants you to think.

Further edit: Before anyone rides in with suppositions about my political affiliation - I've never voted Labour in my life.

Last edited:
On a number of trains that I've been on, if you wish to work on your laptop, first class may be the only place to get a guaranteed seat with power sockets / space / WiFi to comfortably / reasonably do so. I would like to think that any MP, of any party, would be working doing constituency business during these type of trips - despite what the papers may like to think, most of them work pretty blo*dy hard.

And £1600 on 23 tickets is only £70 / journey - the army used to spend more than that on most rail tickets for me when I was off on a course (I remember sitting on my Bergan on a train London - Catterick, looking at the ticket price that was north of £150, thinking 'Well, this was worth it').

Yep the army paid somewhere around £130 for my train ticket to Glencourse for selection, at that point not even knowing if I would pass and be worth the money. There were plenty of others on my intake that were rejected for one reason or another so if they'd spent that much on each individual getting there, then a fair bit of public money was spent for nothing on those who didn't go on to become soldiers.

That was not a 'free-for-all-buy-anything-you-want'.

It was to set up Home Offices for them and their staff - including desks, chairs, computers, printers etc. Loads of firms did similar. I got £500 from my work for the same, my Mrs got a bit more than that.

FFS. If you want to have a go at MPs, there is plenty to do so about - rather than just getting irate about whatever the gutter press says.

Last edited:
That was not a 'free-for-all-buy-anything-you-want'.

It was to set up Home Offices for them and their staff - including desks, chairs, computers, printers etc. Loads of firms did similar. I got £500 from my work for the same, my Mrs got a bit more than that.

FFS. If you want to have a go at MPs, there is plenty to do so about - rather than just getting irate about whatever the gutter press says.
From IPSA..

1612346066198.png

Latest Threads