Loony Left MP refuses to thank Armed Forces and accuses them of preying on vulnerable teens

I suspect that most will be focussing on the “in prison” bit, no matter how you re-brand it.
But as above, not everyone in prison is a convicted criminal (obviously in addition to guards/staff and visitors).
‘Prisoner’ does rather imply guilt, rather than Dindu Nuffins just waiting for some bleeding heart liberal to cook up some spurious claim to ‘prove’ that their conviction was unsafe.
There is nothing wrong with prisoner at all. It's what they are.

• a person who is kept in prison as a punishment, or while they are waiting for trial.
  • a person who has been captured, for example by an enemy, and is being kept somewhere
"Inmate" is good enough to describe those that are currently pickled in the Royal Hospital, can't be that offensive.

At the bottom of the same article...

The same week as fellow loony left MP Zarah Sultana called on the government to prioritise covid jabs for incarcerated prisoners,

The same Zarah Sultana who has just spunked £1,983.80 of our money on her nice new iPhone.

Esgl90NW8AAJcaH.jpg

Can't help but agree, many long term /life style prison occupants should get an injection ASAP.

The same Zarah Sultana who has just spunked £1,983.80 of our money on her nice new iPhone.

The same one who's always bleating about her student loan on her £80k+ salary £30k expense account and subsidised dining... Didn't take kindly to being reminded that introducing tuition fees and adding them to loans were Labour innovations

“Prison users” is a poor choice of term, but as I understand it not everyone in prison is a convicted criminal so there’s sort of a point in there somewhere.

Nevertheless they are incarcerated, so "prisoners" is an accurate description.

and reopen the pits, condemning a significant proportion of the working population to an early death. After all, I'm sure she thinks that's what they want.
To dig up coal to burn is so early 20th Century (where most of Labour still live) but is now a no, no. Her Green and Uni friends will be reaching for their joss sticks at the very thought!

endure

GCM
I think what Beth Winter is saying is that they should stay put and be that caricature of the romanticised poor that the left cling on to, accept their lot in life, and be grateful for the handouts she decides should be their lot.
That is one of the things that piss the left off about Thatcher. Not that she crushed the unions or privatised everything but that she caused the 'working class' to realise that they too could have ambitions to rise above the station in life to which they were born thereby depriving Labour of voters.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect that people are bridling at the use of language such as: "preying on vulnerable teens," rather than her lack of support of the armed forces.

Let's be honest, the army isn't exactly Rotherham kebab shops, so a less hyperbolic statement might be in order from an MP.

Its a free country, she has the right to chose who she supports, or otherwise.

Just because we have a vested interest in HM Armed Forces does not mean that there should be some kind of mandated requirement for everyone to think as we do.

This isn't North Korea.

ETA this rather obvious observation has actually triggered a couple of Dumb reactions, which is ironic, really.

We've had folks of similar opinion hanging around us on armed forces day in the past when we've had one of our vehicles parked up in town. Kids being kids they love having a climb into the drivers seat or a sit behind the GPMG while their parents take a picture, which then has these lot hanging round loudly saying "I think it's disgusting that the army are recruiting kids like this" and other such waffle. Even had those "Veterans for peace" lot taking photos to put on their website to say how disgusting they think it is that the army are promoting war to children. Obviously being on duty and in a very public place we do our best smile and wave and don't rise to it, but they are irritating.

Awol

LE
We've had folks of similar opinion hanging around us on armed forces day in the past when we've had one of our vehicles parked up in town. Kids being kids they love having a climb into the drivers seat or a sit behind the GPMG while their parents take a picture, which then has these lot hanging round loudly saying "I think it's disgusting that the army are recruiting kids like this" and other such waffle. Even had those "Veterans for peace" lot taking photos to put on their website to say how disgusting they think it is that the army are promoting war to children. Obviously being on duty and in a very public place we do our best smile and wave and don't rise to it, but they are irritating.
That’s why GPMGs should never be allowed to leave barracks unloaded.

To dig up coal to burn is so early 20th Century (where most of Labour still live) but is now a no, no. Her Green and Uni friends will be reaching for their joss sticks at the very thought!
Isn't that a dilemma for (old) Labour and Militant Momentum? They decry Thatcher's demolition of dinosaur industries (which were already in terminal decline), yet these industries all had dirty and massive carbon footprints, either in extraction or in consumption.

Latest Threads