Looming middle-age drugs crisis

Are you sure? You could have been on LSD or ‘shrooms.
not during a normal working day, I have standards.

now pass me the Krokodil

I used to train with a guy who was on Gladiators, taught martial arts for a living as was a real health freak

Got the news he'd died of a heroin overdose, even close friends of his had no idea it was going on

And that was back in the 90s

It's not been just the preserve of the underclass for a long time
I had a half-cousin - from the supposedly posh side of the family - who had become a heroin addict by 18. I remember him as a bright and clever boy with loving parents and an unlimited future. He died only recently but from the age of 18 until his death at 50 he destroyed, financially and emotionally, everyone in his family and anyone else foolish enough to get close to him. Even losing a leg to amputation (from ravaged and infected veins) in his 20's couldn't "cure" him. Heroin is a savage drug.

I had a half-cousin - from the supposedly posh side of the family - who had become a heroin addict by 18. I remember him as a bright and clever boy with loving parents and an unlimited future. He died only recently but from the age of 18 until his death at 50 he destroyed, financially and emotionally, everyone in his family and anyone else foolish enough to get close to him. Even losing a leg to amputation (from ravaged and infected veins) in his 20's couldn't "cure" him. Heroin is a savage drug.
There's an addict not too far from me. He must be 38 tops and he's had his left arm amputated a good few years back now and having seen him up close with shorts on, the veins in his lower legs at the very least have almost completely collapsed. His shin areas resemble the legs of a 85-year-old heart failure patient.

Amusingly, for a short time he actually cut about the place with an NHS issue prosthetic hand which resembled a cross between Postman Pat's and the one Roy Munson uses in the film Kingpin.

My darling older brother, no idea how he is still alive, smoked, sniffed but never injected just about anything from aged 16 to 50.
However, his heart is running allegedly at about 20% of what it should be. His teeth have all fallen out and his body is dying. He has had a number of TIA's and the doctors say he looks good for an 80 year old. He is 55.
I suspect that the damage he has done is irreparable and that within the next 5 years or less if he relapses again I will be taking his old clothes to a charity shop.
Thankfully he lives in Cornwall!
Does he live in Callington, the drugs centre of Cornwall

I used to train with a guy who was on Gladiators, taught martial arts for a living as was a real health freak

Got the news he'd died of a heroin overdose, even close friends of his had no idea it was going on

And that was back in the 90s

It's not been just the preserve of the underclass for a long time
Was it Wolf? He was my favourite, in a non-homosexual way.

ugly

LE
Does he live in Callington, the drugs centre of Cornwall
No further down in the North, any town in Cornwall is and has been for a long time a centre for drugs.

Street drugs like crack, coke and heroin account for a small percentage of overall drug deaths in the middle and upper classes, the majority will be caused by prescription medication.

Of course, the biggest killer that will eclipse the drug deaths will be alcohol and tobacco.

Last edited:
The guy who is mentioned who was on Gladiators. Was he a Gladiator, or a contestant? I remember reading about Warrior (Mike Aherne) in some drugs trial, whether dealing or doing it, I don't recall.

The guy who is mentioned who was on Gladiators. Was he a Gladiator, or a contestant? I remember reading about Warrior (Mike Aherne) in some drugs trial, whether dealing or doing it, I don't recall.
A gladiator not a contestant

Him and another gladiator used to run martial arts clubs and training down in Dorset

I don't think any dealing came into it, they were hard working fitness freaks, the sort you look at and wouldn't suspect them of doing hard drugs.

They didn't even take steroids, and they were fit because they trained hard, which is why I was shocked to see it

A gladiator not a contestant

Him and another gladiator used to run martial arts clubs and training down in Dorset

I don't think any dealing came into it, they were hard working fitness freaks, the sort you look at and wouldn't suspect them of doing hard drugs.

They didn't even take steroids, and they were fit because they trained hard, which is why I was shocked to see it
It wasn't Phil Norman, was it? I remember buying a ladies' self defence video by him for my sister. I even recognised parts of Bournemouth on the vid from when I have been there. Also saw him fight in an early MMA bout (normal boxing ring, not cagefight) in Milton Keynes, around 1999.

It wasn't Phil Norman, was it? I remember buying a ladies' self defence video by him for my sister. I even recognised parts of Bournemouth on the vid from when I have been there. Also saw him fight in an early MMA bout (normal boxing ring, not cagefight) in Milton Keynes, around 1999.
One of his mates, long haired looked a bit of a hippy

Phil's still going as far as I know

I was rubbish at it, you could literally hear my joints creaking and making cracking sounds trying to do the moves

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I have lived overseas for a few years and was surprised when a friend came back from a visit to the UK last year, he said cocaine was now the drug of choice among middle class suburbanites. It's no longer a nice bottle of Chablis being handed around at dinner parties, now it's lines of coke.

I found this rather hard to believe as when I left the UK cocaine was a drug used only by crazy City brokers and pop stars. I brought it up later with some other friends visiting from the UK, the way they looked at me as if I was some poor naive old Victorian aunt convinced me the reports are true.

Is this really the case, has cocaine really become the drug of choice for Middle England now? Surely I am not that much of a prude to be shocked by this development?
As evidenced by analysis of waste water in the Thames. London is literally awash with coke.