Looming middle-age drugs crisis

I saw this article in the local rag today - Middle-aged drug addicts crisis in Preston
*BTW, I'd read that quickly and close the page as it'll chew up your cpu due to the amount of ads on there!

The crux of the article is that most hard core drug addicts were also the 'early adopters' and now these are either in, or just about to enter middle age with all the related health issues that brings on top of their addictions.
In short, they are going to cost us a lot more to keep alive.
Interesting to note in the article is the figure that hard drug use is a circa 37% down among the younger generations.
I wonder if we are on the verge of seeing a great dying of these people as their bodies can no longer accept the punishment they put them through?

In short, they are going to cost us a lot more to keep alive.
Only if we bother to.

I wonder if we are on the verge of seeing a great dying of these people as their bodies can no longer accept the punishment they put them through?
With any luck, although I'll wager we won't notice as well be too busy disposing of the hippo-sized, diabetes-riddled carcasses of their non-drug-using contemporaries.

What counts as middle aged these days?
I am 66 and drugs were old hat when I was 16.
Well, it's says the data suggests up until the age of 64:

Public Health England data reveals there were 36 per cent more heroin and crack cocaine addicts aged 35 to 64 in 2016-17 compared to the number in 2010-11, an estimated 4,927 users compared to 3,576.

Let them die, simples.
I doubt it.

Most of the serious drug users I ever saw would survive a nuclear strike.

You get the odd one sudden death, usually from an above average pure dose of whatever (I saw quite a lot of heroin when I was finishing dealing with front line nonsense).

I always used to think the capacity of the human body to withstand overwhelming abuse was amazing, then nice normal people drop dead of nothing. No cosmic justice really.

Still, search krokodil if you fancy throwing up (the Russian street name for desomorphine). Now that's a seriously screwed up thing. I imagine something more stupid has replaced it, my knowledge of street drugs is a bit dated now.

I've got my drugs on repeat prescription,

Oh wait, you mean illegal drugs?
Not forgetting legal drugs used for recreational purposes.

I always irks me somewhat when ketamine in mentioned as it's always 'The Horse Tranquiliser, Ketamine'
We used to give it to trauma victims (it probably still is) and not one of my casualties/patients was a horse.

I suppose that to become an old drug user, you've got to know your limits, or at least what will not quite kill you.

I always irks me somewhat when ketamine in mentioned as it's always 'The Horse Tranquiliser, Ketamine'
We used to give it to trauma victims (it probably still is) and not one of my casualties/patients was a horse.
Used to be in the [sp]syrettes[/sp] on your webbing in the field.

I have lived overseas for a few years and was surprised when a friend came back from a visit to the UK last year, he said cocaine was now the drug of choice among middle class suburbanites. It's no longer a nice bottle of Chablis being handed around at dinner parties, now it's lines of coke.

I found this rather hard to believe as when I left the UK cocaine was a drug used only by crazy City brokers and pop stars. I brought it up later with some other friends visiting from the UK, the way they looked at me as if I was some poor naive old Victorian aunt convinced me the reports are true.

Is this really the case, has cocaine really become the drug of choice for Middle England now? Surely I am not that much of a prude to be shocked by this development?

Were any hung like one...Jarrod wants to know.

I used to train with a guy who was on Gladiators, taught martial arts for a living as was a real health freak

Got the news he'd died of a heroin overdose, even close friends of his had no idea it was going on

And that was back in the 90s

It's not been just the preserve of the underclass for a long time

I saw quite a lot of heroin when I was finishing dealing with front line nonsense)
In context, that's a father ambiguous statement.

ugly

LE
My darling older brother, no idea how he is still alive, smoked, sniffed but never injected just about anything from aged 16 to 50.
However, his heart is running allegedly at about 20% of what it should be. His teeth have all fallen out and his body is dying. He has had a number of TIA's and the doctors say he looks good for an 80 year old. He is 55.
I suspect that the damage he has done is irreparable and that within the next 5 years or less if he relapses again I will be taking his old clothes to a charity shop.
Thankfully he lives in Cornwall!

crustyrusty

On ROPS
On ROPs
If it was the Home Counties The Daily Mail would be saving the UK from the drug beast!

Last edited:

ugly

LE

A good mate who died a few years ago had autojets of the stuff for when his degenerative disc problems got too much. I suspect the cocktail of drugs brought on his stroke which then brought on his Brain Haemorrage. Dead at 47 and mostly if not all down to his short service of about 3 years as an adult after juniors.

I doubt it.

Most of the serious drug users I ever saw would survive a nuclear strike.
There used to be a smackhead on my patch who was regularly found 'resting' in various spots around the town. As a result there were frequent calls from MOP who didn't know him, the result of these was arriving to the 'possibly deceased' and having already decided en-route who it was, giving him a gentle prod with the boot to raise him from the dead.

I was convinced that he was immortal and following a nuclear strike would sober up and just wonder where everyone was (and more importantly where he was going to get his next hit from).

He OD'd when I was on leave and I had to check with the bobbie who attended if he'd kicked him as that always worked.