Looks like we're getting new mags

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by thecoops, Oct 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just had a quick look on the web and it looks like we're getting magpul emags now for our weapon systems
    Military Times Gear Scout

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Young people today are so spoilt...when I was a lad...

3. you used charges and wadding?

4. What was wrong with the H&K high reliability mags?

Or have we lost half of them already?

5. They reckon polymer mags will save weight and they wont rust

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

if the window on the side is to check how many rounds you have left, why does it only go halfway up the side?

7. I sense a Wahhh coming on

8. Possibly because when doing an ammo count you say any mag half full or less are empty, so you know when you can't see the rounds you'll need to change mag soon?

9. Our shooting team trialled them before Bisley this year. Nice bit of kit; lighter and reasonably easy to see how many rounds you have left (could be improved - but looking at the News report, it looks as though they have). The only 'down' side was that we found the cover/ protector was a fiddly waste of time. Most of us binned them within a few minutes.

10. these mags are lighter and cheaper than the HK ones, they could have gone made and got them in desert sand colour!

I think they retail at about 12 dollars each! i'm sure the procurement people have sorted some bulk buy discount for the 1 million we are buying!

actually they are probably paying 12 pounds each!

11. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

eh? what are you talking about?

12. E mags by Magpul. £15 each. Probably cheaper en masse.
    Gooood bit of kit!

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm calling WAH on the whole story actually.

No way in hell would the MOD (especially the bit of it dealing in personal weapons) simply buy cheap but snazzy off-the-shelf plastic mags from some US outfit. Quite frankly I'm surprised you fell for it. Here's how it works: 10 consecutive committees of suits who know f-all about about firearms, let alone magazines sit around and talk shit for 15 years (or in the case of the SA80, 40 years) before allowing a guy in brown overalls and a suspiciously northern accent to sketch something up on the back of a fag packet just as he walks out on strike somewhere. 6 companies try and quote for producing the thing, knowing full-well that such-and-such a body from one of the companies tendering is personal mates with the procurement guy, who knows this other fella is due to go on their company board when he gets voted out, which means that there's really only one manufacturer in the running. This company that's going to win the 'competitive tendering' process duly wins it, scans the fag packet sketch straight into the CNC programs which knocks out a metal magazine that fits nothing, weighs 15 tonnes and costs £5 million per magazine and it will take 20 years to make 100. The MOD guy loves it, because he's retiring soon and it'll be someone elses problem, and anyway, he's got the money he asked for, so the thing goes into production, and we get it just in time to see that everyone else is using the new death-ray guns that the Chinese are knocking out for $5 a piece and make the SA80 look like a stoneage flint spear.

Am I right, or am I right?

14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I think Biped is my long lost twin brother and we were seperated at birth!!!