Looks like our Noble Peers will get away with 2nd home scam

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Monty417, Oct 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yet another day of grinding my teeth.

Why do they need to define such a simple thing as a main home? In other words, if you are a Peer and own no scruples, but more than one accommodation, (Caravan?)you can claim. Of course the usual suspects are there as well: Baroness Uddin, Lord Taylor of Warwick, Lord Bhatia, Lord Sheldon, Lord Clarke of Hampstead and Lord Paul – are currently under investigation over their expenses amid claims that they are not based at their “main homes”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/6400349/Peers-may-escape-censure-over-main-home-
    expenses.html
    Extracts:
    Peers may escape being censured over questionable expenses claims after House of Lords officials admitted to a loophole in the rules.

There is no definition of what should count as a peer’s “main home” despite this being central to claims for thousands of pounds a year in taxpayer-funded allowances, they have disclosed. he Lords loophole emerged as Lord Rennard, a Liberal Democrat peer, was cleared of abusing the expenses system.

He was accused of claiming thousands of pounds by designating a flat in Eastbourne as his “main” home when he continued to have a house in Stockwell, south London, which had previously been given as his main home.

The peer, who claimed £41,000 after changing the designation, was the chief executive of the Liberal Democrats and is thought to have worked full-time in the capital.

2. You sound surprised.

3. Pissed off, yes..surprised? frankly yes I am. A main residence is obviously where one lives err MAINLY. But I know exactly what you mean. :x

4. It makes me somewhat pissed off to read about our MP's fiddles. I remember having to fill in 1771's to claim back expenses for motor mileage and accommodation when travelling at the army's behest and having them scrutinised with a fu cking microscope before being paid. And having taken 5 magnetometers (about 40,000 quids worth) to Scotland in the boot of my own car being told I could only claim that lower rate of duty travel. Leave travel mileage could be claimed at a rate which barely covered the fuel used. And at one stage I was owed over a years worth of claims because the "system" hadnt "caught up". When I told the unit I was with - 33 - that I couldnt afford to support their EOD ops with my personal credit card any more and declined to pay for accommodation and travel, there was talk of disloyaly and trouble making.

So as far as I am concerned, the HoP need a fu cking good clear out and some of the twats need to go to jail for fraud!

5. It makes me somewhat pissed off to read about our MP's fiddles. I remember having to fill in 1771's to claim back expenses for motor mileage and accommodation when travelling at the army's behest and having them scrutinised with a fu cking microscope before being paid. And having taken 5 magnetometers (about 40,000 quids worth) to Scotland in the boot of my own car being told I could only claim that lower rate of duty travel. Leave travel mileage could be claimed at a rate which barely covered the fuel used. And at one stage I was owed over a years worth of claims because the "system" hadnt "caught up". When I told the unit I was with - 33 - that I couldnt afford to support their EOD ops with my personal credit card any more and declined to pay for accommodation and travel, there was talk of disloyaly and trouble making.

So as far as I am concerned, the HoP need a fu cking good clear out and some of the twats need to go to jail for fraud!

6. Have these people no honour or conscience? Do they really understand how little the public regard these thieves as upstanding Members of the Upper Trough . . Sorry, House?

Thieving dishonourable Scum.

I'm tempted to raise a petition with the Number10.gov thing regarding dropping the use of the term 'Honourable Member' in the House of Commons, as it's surely something that are clearly not. :x and drop the following in bold as the correct name for the HoL
    'The Right Honourable the Lords Spiritual and Temporal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Parliament assembled'

7. Why am I not even in the least bit suprised?

Thieving b*stards is all I have to say.

8. Please go ahead and do so. I will sign up to it with alacrity. Or via my keyboard, anyway.

9. The House of Lords is a discredited and expensive farce. This has come about primarily as the result of the grinning spiv Bliar's 'modernisation' plans and his unrelenting effort to fill the place with his show-biz and legal 'friends'.

I am CERTAIN that the thieving peers and peeresses will be LET OFF entirely.

Can you see their fat perspiring and overfed smarmy faces, sneering at us the 'common people'. The French aristocracy, and they were REAL aristocrats, did 'sneering' and the 'common people' 'did' for them!

Come the revolution - unless Cameron comes to his senses and stops trying to be a Bliar with brains and a better looking wife!

10. I have mixed thoughts about expenses... I mean, yes, they are using public money to further their own ends, but Churchill, Thatcher and Victoria all enjoyed similar benefits. These, however, seemed to understand that for them to enjoy their luscious lifestyle, we needed to have the money to give to them.

In theory, it can be an excellent incentive to make the politicians make sure we have enough money to turn a blind eye to this sort of behavior... However, clearly dear old Brown and his government doesn't understand this.

11. This just goes to show how fcuking corrupt Britain is these days under Liarbore.

Surprised?,no.

Dismayed?,yes.

Our once great country is being ruined by the present criminal clique in power.

Step forward CPS bureaucrats for their new year's honours at the end of the year?.

12. Shocked.... barely.

Bin this 2nd home sh1t. Put them in the MPs village (aka the 2012 Olympic village).

No need to pay expenses to maintain their first homes either... that is what wages are for.