Looking up an MBE recipient?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by wireless_barf, Jan 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone direct me to a list or database that i can look up an MBE recipient in?

Its not actally military history, but im sure this particular chap is 'knightwalting!', trouble is hes sticking his oar in in the press regarding something im involved in

Ive tried the London Gazette website but couldnt seem to find lists of MBE holders
  2. London Gazette...they are ALL in there, even Fijian Bob and Legs!
  3. As cuddles said, London Gazette. I've also just googled the name of someone that I know has one of those, and his name came up that way, remember to refine the search to pages from UK.
  4. If you put the full name into the search on here:

it should some up with a page or pages of any notified honour

You have to be patient and just run through what comes out if he has a common name, as the Supplement covers commissions, bankrupcies and loads of other notifiable stuff. If he's called Smith I don't envy the task, but you could try +++ Smith MBE
  5. MBEs are usually gazetted with a individuals full name so search the London Gazette using the full name as a search string -

i.e. 'John Rudolph Smith'

rather than 'John Smith' or 'J R Smith'.

6. London Gazette is the place. However it will be gazetted on the day it was announced rather than the day it was presented. I know that seems obvious but..... :D

And if its not there then he is Walt MBE :D
  7. thanks chaps,

i'll have another crack at the search function.

To me hes showing all the signs - a cv of organisations as long as your arm that hes 'founded' etc
  8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Does this search also apply to recipients of awards for gallantry, such as MM?
  9. Bugger! Turns out hes genuine. SO, not an honourswalt, just an obnoxious tw*t with no idea what hes wittering on about to the press

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I tried Legs but nothing showed up in the Gazette :lol: Maybe she is an award walt. :x
  11. Pretty much - although there are tweaks depending on era and award.

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Thank you. Most interesting!