Looking to spend my credits.. any ideas?

Still banging my head on this one and now running out of time.

I've looked at tons of courses and my head is mush, but it all just looks like shite. I did ask my work if they'd consider anything I qualified in and they replied with "No.", so it really is something that'll just benefit me alongside my existing career, but **** knows what.

Also, half these companies seem to have refined the art of saying a lot whilst saying nothing.
If you want to have a decent side line, I would suggest painting decorating, wallpapering and tiling
If you can do it well you can make good money
I went into estate maintenance when I came back from overseas, when I retired I found the job on the side
that was in great demand and made most dosh was painting decorating, wallpapering and tiling

I've held off cashing in my ELC for a variety of reasons. Just finished a diploma from my current job so I've now got the free time back to look at this.

One thing I've picked up over the years from various people is that most of the courses are utter shite. The main problem seems to be that any old fanny can start a recognised course and just happen to charge just enough to get the full whack of your credit allowance.

The other issue is that I've been told from people who have gone through trade courses - plasterer, plumber, etc, that unless you're going into the trade and will then pick up further learning, the basic courses for those kind of trades are a waste of time as it's not enough to actually set out on your own.

I'm thinking of the St Andrews CT course as it falls in line with current interests, but I feel I should look at a trade, even if it's just to give me the skills to do stuff in my own home like plastering, etc.

Any ideas / suggestions / experience?
YOU, and TOOLS? Nah... Can't see it.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If you want to have a decent side line, I would suggest painting decorating, wallpapering and tiling
If you can do it well you can make good money
I went into estate maintenance when I came back from overseas, when I retired I found the job on the side
that was in great demand and made most dosh was painting decorating, wallpapering and tiling
I've just said cheerio to a lad who got £1400 off me to refresh the whole house. I'd rather stick my delicates in a deep fat fryer than paint / tile / wallpaper!

Yeah, had looked at that but not compatible with my home life, etc unfortunately.

An example is this mob:

Level 3 Enhanced Locksmith Qualification

Interesting at first, however the price for the Level 3 Locksmith course is the same price as loads of other firms for completely different skills - i.e, they know the max for ELC is £2k so they sit it around there, guaranteeing themselves the full whack of credits.

It also sounds a bit wishy-washy and like many firms, has lots of courses that give you nothing more than an in-house certificate that's worthless.

Woah there Cowboy. I've you've ever read any of my DIY threads, that is not for me. Otherwise there'd quickly be one less ELC provider out there. :D
Pity my FiL, until he fully retired used his navy paid for AT qual, teaching diving in the summer, in Italy, and skiing in the winter, in Austria. Essentially for beer money.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
NEBOSH / IOSH type H&S quals.

Useful in any line of work and massively fun.

Oh wait....not massively fun at all.

But pretty useful.

Other than that just do what everyone else does and go scuba diving in Cyprus for a couple of weeks.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd actually looked at a locksmith course, as thought it might be handy to know how to jemmy a door rather than smashing the shit out of it in work. I even bought a small set and a practice lock which I do alright with.

Ah, just so many choices.
Beats getting a warrant:slow: