Looking to spend my credits.. any ideas?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've held off cashing in my ELC for a variety of reasons. Just finished a diploma from my current job so I've now got the free time back to look at this.

One thing I've picked up over the years from various people is that most of the courses are utter shite. The main problem seems to be that any old fanny can start a recognised course and just happen to charge just enough to get the full whack of your credit allowance.

The other issue is that I've been told from people who have gone through trade courses - plasterer, plumber, etc, that unless you're going into the trade and will then pick up further learning, the basic courses for those kind of trades are a waste of time as it's not enough to actually set out on your own.

I'm thinking of the St Andrews CT course as it falls in line with current interests, but I feel I should look at a trade, even if it's just to give me the skills to do stuff in my own home like plastering, etc.

Any ideas / suggestions / experience?

ugly

LE
I'm thinking of the St Andrews CT course as it falls in line with current interests, but I feel I should look at a trade, even if it's just to give me the skills to do stuff in my own home like plastering, etc.
Trades are ok but like most skills you need to practise regularly.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Trades are ok but like most skills you need to practise regularly.
Yes, and I think I might struggle to find a practical application for deer stalking. :D

Look at the trades that the elderly and vulnerable scream out for. A trusted tradesman never seeks work due to word of mouth and a nod of the head.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Look at the trades that the elderly and vulnerable scream out for. A trusted tradesman never seeks work due to word of mouth and a nod of the head.
I'd actually looked at a locksmith course, as thought it might be handy to know how to jemmy a door rather than smashing the shit out of it in work. I even bought a small set and a practice lock which I do alright with.

Ah, just so many choices.

Have you got a job in mind or employer? If so, it might be worth asking them directly what course will you get a parking spot close to the door.

I'd instinctively recommend doing a language but that might be of no use to you.

I've held off cashing in my ELC for a variety of reasons. Just finished a diploma from my current job so I've now got the free time back to look at this.

One thing I've picked up over the years from various people is that most of the courses are utter shite. The main problem seems to be that any old fanny can start a recognised course and just happen to charge just enough to get the full whack of your credit allowance.

The other issue is that I've been told from people who have gone through trade courses - plasterer, plumber, etc, that unless you're going into the trade and will then pick up further learning, the basic courses for those kind of trades are a waste of time as it's not enough to actually set out on your own.

Any ideas / suggestions / experience?
Get a law degree,

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Have you got a job in mind or employer? If so, it might be worth asking them directly what course will you get a parking spot close to the door.

I'd instinctively recommend doing a language but that might be of no use to you.
Already in a career with no plans to change..this is just cashing in the freebie on offer. Ideally, something that can make a few bob on the side.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Already in a career with no plans to change..this is just cashing in the freebie on offer. Ideally, something that can make a few bob on the side.
Cooking course? You can make a fortune doing private catering in peoples homes.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
But killing dinner is fun
I'm fucked if I'm putting myself back into a world of lying in piss wet gorse and bogs waiting for a pop up target. :D

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mate, I once nearly killed our OC with a boiled egg... Perhaps not the line for me.
Taking it out of the saucepan when throwing it helps!

General building skills ... Save you a fortune when you get a house