Looking to Join the Army Reserves but worried about Employment References

Hey all - looking to join the Army Reserves but worried about employment references. I was discharged from my last teaching job on false allegations. Wondering how bad this would impact my application to the Reserves?

Last edited:
Thank Allah this isn't in the NAAFI. Employers have got to be careful with references. They can confirm your employment, but they won't bubble you as a bottom-fondling beastmaster. They'd be in trouble if they did. Unproven allegations are one thing. What do you fancy joining, RLC?

Sorry... couldn't resist it.

They can’t say anything that is untrue. They could say ‘X worked for us in the role of xxx between dates and was dismissed/discharged for misconduct’ . and leave it at that. I made it perfectly clear to the College I taught at when I quit that I wanted nothing from them in any future reference other than the dates. From what I gather that’s exactly what they said.

Thank Allah this isn't in the NAAFI. Employers have got to be careful with references. They can confirm your employment, but they won't bubble you as a bottom-fondling beastmaster. They'd be in trouble if they did. Unproven allegations are one thing. What do you fancy joining, RLC?

Sorry... couldn't resist it.
Thanks for the info - I am looking into joining as an officer and being part IA&O.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Hey all - looking to join the Army Reserves but worried about employment references. I was discharged from my last teaching job on false allegations that I was grooming female students and was a bully. Wondering how bad this would impact my application to the Reserves?
If they were false, how come you were discharged? Did you appeal it?

Also, what exactly were you doing? Maintenance at a college or working in a school as a teacher?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Hey all - looking to join the Army Reserves but worried about employment references. I was discharged from my last teaching job on false allegations that I was grooming female students and was a bully. Wondering how bad this would impact my application to the Reserves?
If the allegations are false, why aren't you bringing your ex-employer before an employment tribunal?

Make a claim to an employment tribunal

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
So, with the exception of your last job, how much of a work history do you have?

These days, most potential employers just want confirmation you were employed at your last two employers during the specified dates. But many employers will also ask if your leaving was associated with any disciplinary event.

Is your union able to find out what the employer will put into any request for a reference? Because, if they put that you were discharged because of grooming and bullying allegations, I'd say your chances of another job in the teaching profession are slim.

Wordsmith

So, with the exception of your last job, how much of a work history do you have?

These days, most potential employers just want confirmation you were employed at your last two employers during the specified dates. But many employers will also ask if your leaving was associated with any disciplinary event.

Is your union able to find out what the employer will put into any request for a reference? Because, if they put that you were discharged because of grooming and bullying allegations, I'd say your chances of another job in the teaching profession are slim.

Wordsmith
I have several years of work history. I am concerned with how this would affect my Army Reserve application, I've already moved on to other employment.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I have several years of work history. I am concerned with how this would affect my Army Reserve application, I've already moved on to other employment.
Ah - OK.

I'll let others who have direct experience of army life answer your question re joining the reserves.

Wordsmith

lextalionis

Old-Salt
If possible, you could ask a colleague or head of department to provide a reference, if they are willing. AFAIK, the requirements in the schools sector for references don't apply in areas like defence.

Were you on your NQT year?

Mrsheeny

War Hero
As long as you don't wear reactive lenses in your glasses nobody will suspect a thing.

Just sign on the dotted line, nobody checked my employment records pre-joining, I had to fill a form in once attested to tell them formally I'd joined.

Latest Threads