Looking to Join the AAC

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by LadyK, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am partially deaf in my right ear. I was wondering if anyone knew how well I need to be able to hear in order to pass for the AAC. If I am unable to go into that Corps then does anyone know what I could go for? I have done my BARB test and now am waiting for a hearing test to be done by the hospital. If anyone has any advice I would be so greatful.
  2. My sisters boyfriend tried to join the army, but he is deaf in one of his ears so he couldn't get in.

I'm not 100% sure on how it would work for a partially deaf ear, so you will just have to wait for the report.
  3. A hearing test at the hospital? You do one at selection. Just sit in a sound-proof booth, put the headphones on and everytime you hear a beep (various pitches) you press the button.

Good luck though, just focus your hardest to hear the beeps ;)
  4. [​IMG]

Your jobbrief should have the PULHHEEMS standards listed IIRC?

edit: that is from a RN document I googled. I closed the tab before taking note of the address and I cannot be bothered to find it again.
  5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

3 threads with the same question.

You might be deaf, but we're not fucking blind.
  6. Actually ignore my previous post where I said I'd add the details you require, I consider your threads to be spam.

Bugger off..

I said BUGGER OFF!
  7. Well thats not very nice is it..... I can assure you I am not spam you idiot - I come from an Army background, I grew up in the Army and my father was in the Army so I strive to be better than him. Considering this is supposed to be advice for someone who wants to join - its a good job I am thick skinned or you could have put me off wanting to work with the Army altogether...
    At least there are other helpful people on here, unlike yourself!
  8. Thats great - thank you for your help.
    All I can do now is wait for my test at the hospital. I need to haev the test done before as I was run over by a car when I was 13, so even though it was a while ago, I need the test done before so my Dr can sign me off as medically fit. So playing the waiting game.

Thank you once again for your help.x
  9. If YOU were spam you'd look like this;

which would explain your self confessed thick skin - its actually a tin

however I stated that I thought your multiple threads to be spam
  10. Actually I look like this:

11. I might reconsider joining the AAC to give you a visit after seeing the pic. :D
  12. maybe she never heard them tell her to do the test...?

obviously your hearing IS a problem. otherwise you might have heard that car coming when you were 13. :x

by the way - brave posting your pic on here. do you not see the sort of comments posted in the gallery?!? cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war...
  13. Ill give you some advice :D

The hearing booth at selection was like a torture chamber. I found myself holding my breath and sweating profusley to hear the sounds and was relieved when they open the doors.
  14. Dont listen to any of those common arrse mongs giving grief....

I had a fella joining AAC with me and he was partially deaf too, they dont rely care bullets are loud enough to be heard a mile away :D you'll do fine luv. The medical stuff sounds stringent but believe me it isnt, the military cant afford to march big numbers of recruits away as the british army needs more new people this day in age, as all soldiers of this generation seem to want to leave the army quicker due to the longer tours, less time off etc.

Good luck anyway, btw if thats you on the pic your fine ;)
  15. The Army turns lots of people away every day for trivial things, partially deaf in one ear could make you ineligble for some jobs and even for the army full stop only ADSC will tell you that.