LOOKING TO JOIN: PARA OR RIFLES

AliE

Swinger
My first time on this forum, I’m here because I’m in the process of applying. I’ve still not been given my assessment centre date, my first choice was the parachute regiment.

However I’m having some issues with my fitness levels, my 2KM Run time as of now is 8:20secs and I can barely run 2 miles without being knackered and I definitely wouldn’t be able to maintain a pace 4:10 per KM, I can currently do 4 pull ups and don’t really have an issue with doing press ups/sit ups. I also recently stopped smoking as I was regular smoker.

I’ve been watching a lot of PRAC videos and I’m starting to have doubts that I may not be fit enough so I’ve been thinking about joining the rifles instead, does anyone have any advice for me on what to do as that would be greatly appreciated.

cheers troops

Regardless of which unit you join, you are going to have to be extremely fit to pass BMT.
The more running that you do, the easier it becomes.

Jammy66

War Hero
You can download the British Army fitness app that has a lot of the basic stuff you need to be able to do.

Maybe Para levels of fitness is a bit of a stretch for you right now? If so you could delay your application or if you think you will be fit enough for other roles then reconsider what you want to do, initially at least.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
My own experience of stopping smoking was that my fitness was all over the place for a month or so before settling down to quite a higher level. Maybe give it a week or two more and see if your running improves as your heart and lungs get used to working more efficiently.

AliE

Swinger
You can download the British Army fitness app that has a lot of the basic stuff you need to be able to do.

Maybe Para levels of fitness is a bit of a stretch for you right now? If so you could delay your application or if you think you will be fit enough for other roles then reconsider what you want to do, initially at least.
Do you reckon if I pushed myself to I could pass selection? I don’t think I would have issue with the marches because as far as I’m aware it’s not continual jogging, Do you think there is a point where mental robustness doesn’t matter if the physical isn’t there or do you think anyone could push themselves enough to pass selection

Lt_Pest

Clanker
Paras, Rifles etc fitness is a big thing. Para selection will pit you against people who can comfortably run a mile and a half in under 8min, get competitive marathon times and tab all day long with 30+ kg.

Run a mile then take a 1 min break, then run another mile. Repeat until you’ve a achieved 6 miles at a decent pace. Then reduce the gap to 45 sec. When you can bang out 10 miles at good pace you’re probably ready. Just running isn’t enough. Go to the gym and work on muscular endurance. A physio once told me you should be able to leg press twice your body weight to tab any distance effectively. Mix in with cycling, swimming etc to give your body a chance to recover. Diet is important too. Lean protein, fish rice pasta etc. Also electrolyte drinks to keep you going.

During basic training the start standard is fairly low so you’ll probably lose some fitness initially. Easier to be way ahead of what you need if you’re straight on para beat up after.

Latest Threads