Looking to join, advice wanted for job selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtbagCivvy

Old-Salt
Hello all.
Just a Dirtbag Cuvvy here, but I’m sick of being a civvy and want to do something better with my life, so over this lockdown I’ve been mulling over joining the army.
I have already got an application in, and am at the medical form stage (done the conference call part and passed basic medical and dental questions).
I’m also almost too old to get in 36 end of Sept this year) so the recruiter was looking at priority roles he could speedily enroll me on, hoping to either get me in just in time or get a waiver to allow me to join a little later...
Now the role he mentioned was Postal Courier and looking through here it seems like I’d be more of an idiot choosing that, than I was choosing mechanics leaving school!!! (Shite trade these days)
I’m wondering if there are any recommendations from the priority job roles for an older lad to join as it should I join reserves as a role I’m more interested in? (I looked at driving roles such as RE driver, QOY light cav, driver comms spec or UAV systems as a wildcard) although I’m open to other choices along the way (armourer or ammo tech interest me a lot too).
My main problem is, as a Dirtbag Civvy, I don’t know much at all about the realities of these roles or army life in general having no friends or family in full time, (and the army website isn’t exactly unbiased and forthcoming about the real part of the jobs lol) so looking for advice on things like uk postings and overseas tours and if you can choose where you’re based (including obligations expected of you for tours in your job etc), time away from my family, other pitfalls I don’t see coming, as I just want to inform the wife and kids as much as possible as to what they should expect once I’ve signed the dotted line...
Apologies for being green and knowing f@€k all, any help is greatly appreciated!
Best regards
Dirtbag Civvy

Do you want to travel?

DirtbagCivvy

Old-Salt
Well I don’t mind if I go on tour somewhere, I expect that as part of army life but if possible I’d like to be posted either north east or near Coventry as that’s where mine and the wives families are. She mentioned Cyprus but reading about the accommodation etc out there I told her to forget it lol
Coming from a little tiny shithole pit village full of waster, addicts and delinquents, we just want to get out of here and have a better life and opportunities for our kids.

Well I don’t mind if I go on tour somewhere, I expect that as part of army life but if possible I’d like to be posted either north east or near Coventry as that’s where mine and the wives families are. She mentioned Cyprus but reading about the accommodation etc out there I told her to forget it lol
Coming from a little tiny shithole pit village full of waster, addicts and delinquents, we just want to get out of here and have a better life and opportunities for our kids.
You don't join the army to stay at home, well I did not
Look at 30 signals they were Coventry based
Bold but you want to be posted there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads