Looking to go on Ops in 2011

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Beware_the_rabbit, Sep 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a fresh faced 1 pip from TA, are there any options for me to deploy on Ops other than TOSCA? I have previous Op experience proir to commissioning and have looked through various trawls but can see no vacancies for anything other than NCOs. Is there a seperate list for Officers? I am very keen to do what I have been trained to do, rather than sit back comfortably on my MTDs and reap the 'Bounty'. Is the PSAO my primary PoC?

I await your advice and replies. Thanks in advance.

2. I've served with TA officers on tour in Iraq. Maybe tell your unit you're interested in completing a tour?

3. msr

msr LE

Your OC should be your first port of call. Trouble is, the army isn't short of 2Lts, so your chances may increase when you reach Capt and can fill an SO3 slot.

msr

4. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll get on to my OC 1st up

5. Why not just join the regular army, and then you can tour your ass off

6. If you’re a Commissioned Officer and didn’t think to speak to your Officer Commanding until someone told you to, maybe its better you don’t deploy?

7. I did go to speak to OC and PSAO and SPSI but OC is brand new in her Post and is still finding her feet, PSAO was out sailing for 3 weeks and SPSI on course before gardening leave for his new posting before brand new SPSI arrives.

Was being polite to MSR and honestly couldn't be arrsed writing all this 1st time round...

So keep your sarcastic comments to yourself.

Thank you.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

In very brief terms, until you have completed your YOs course, you are as useful as the proverbial chocolate fire guard. Once you have completed it, you are still as useful as the proverbial chocolate fireguard until you have built up a degree of competence. Note, this is competence as an officer in your role.

Don't rush into it - take some time to learn your trade and gain experience, and then apply. You are more likely to get a halfway decent job that way.

9. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Unless your TA unit is going to mobilise you with your troop, or it is going to deploy on Op TOSCA, the chances of you getting a tour as a 2Lt are remote. MSR hit the nail on the head when he stated the reality is SO3s are needed whereas 2Lts (especially without a troop) are not. Harsh but true (unless you have a speciality like speaking Pashtun etc).

The reality will be on the OCP list where individual replecements for op tours for all ranks are listed - this is held at APC Glasgow and your Adjutant can access this. I think it might be on ArmyNet as well...

10. If, as a TA Offr, and you want to go on ops, you really need to be Inf, Simples.really.

Royal Sigs get TOSCA, TA Inf gets HERRICK.

TA Inf are short of YO's as well so if you really want to get over there join the regs or transfer to TA Inf.

11. I'd second that.

12. msr

msr LE

The entire TA is desperately short of YOs....

13. MSR, absolutely agree and it is a major issue (before you start, I tend to agree with you about recruiting group) but this young Offr is clearly keen to go on Ops, and Inf are very short of Offrs, if any YO REALLY wants to go on Ops they need to join TA Inf not Royal Sigs!

You may not agree, I may not agree but that is the way of it at the moment. Op ENTIRIETY and all that.

Perhaps we (The TA) would be better placed for SDSR if we worried more about supporting the Regs on current operations and less about history and maintaining outdated and, frankly, anachronistic capabilities.

14. The TA is a very broken creature as it stands. 20 years ago it was capable of supplying Battalions or similar sized units for War operations in Europe or elsewhere. Now it is just a force generation machine that just about manages to provide a string of half trained augmentees and a handful of seniors and watchkeepers.

Maybe we would be better off transferring all those willing to deploy to the Reg Reserve, those not willing to deploy to the ACF and arranging for new entrants to sign up for an 18 month engagement comprising a regular basic training followed by OPTAG , a 6 month tour and some post tour leave before assigning them to the Reg reserve?

Maybe I'm just old and have had too much to drink. Sorry.

15. Yep, back in the day the TA NATO role Battalions had a very clearly defined role, get to Germany, slow them down and give someone time to either pull a diplomatic cat out of the bag or deploy the tactical nukes.

These days the TA may or may not be broken, it really depends which arm you look at and what you believe todays TA is really for.

Some units (mine for example) have better integration with their Reg Bns than others, yes we are sending a steady stream of IR's but these are rank ranged Rfn through to Major and we have provided formed sub units for clearly defined tasks on 4 seperate tours. It works for us but I suspect SDSR will put paid to all that.

The issue will be when the politicos reach for the reserve at some time in the future and find it isn't there, there will probably be plenty of Infanteers but without all the other arms we really aren't much use in a war fighting scenario. Parts of the TA are working well in the current operating environment, but the overall force has changed remarkably, does this matter? Is it broken? I don't think we know because no one has been brave enough to re define our role.