Looking Into Joining Canadian Forces....anyone Help?

Hi, I have read the pinned thread about joining the Canadian Forces but its not as informative as I had hoped. Could anyone point us in the right direction? My husband has been in the forces for 17 years and we are looking to the future. I have checked out the Canadian Forces website, which doesnt have a great deal of info for overseas applicants and on the first page of the online application states you must be a Canadian citizen. I emailed a recruiter who told me to go to the website....I also read that you can contact the Canadian Embassy in London, but again I have tried calling them, its automated and non of the options seem appropriate and there is no email I can find to get the ball rolling. I emailed the main recruitment email also and still had no joy....

Send an upto date CV and a covering letter stating what you are interested in doing to:

Foreign Applicant Coordinator/R3 Tasks
Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters
Building 0-110/23 route Coronel
PO Box 1000 Stn Main
Canadian Forces Base Borden
Borden ON L0M 1C0

Also ensure you give them your email address in the covering letter.

You do not have to be a Canadian Citizen but you will need a skill set they require at that time and if so you can be accepted but you will be required to serve for four years and gain your citizenship to continue serving after that.
The process takes 12 to 18 months and you will incur all costs for travelling for medical/interviews and if successful relocation costs and Visas etc.

Good Luck and be patient it is a very slow process.

I vaguely recall it takes three years to get citizenship, might be four, but three sticks in my mind. It doesn't actually take too long to get into Canada if you self apply for an immigrant type visa without company sponsorship, around 6 months appears to be the norm - dependant on academic and/or professional qualifications held. With sponsorship you can more or less be over there in a month or two.

Its bleedin cold though. I mean cold, freeze the fluid in your eyeballs type cold, serious minus numbers, I live south of Canada and I'm cold, have been since November, there is still ice on the ground and the 5 feet of snow we had since novemeber is less than they had in Toronto.

Quick edit: There is plenty of work for qualifieds and they were hardly touched by the recent recession.

Cdn_Spr made the transfer but this was a good few years ago. The Canadians are around 5 years behind us. If you know anything about Bowman you would probably be snapped up as they are shifting over shortly.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Unless you have a very needed skill, cyber etc then there is little chance.

I am on exchange here and things are bleak. The grass is certainly not as green and with the strong pound the Brits who have transferred find their UK pension aren't as good as they used to be.

I vaguely recall it takes three years to get citizenship, might be four, but three sticks in my mind. It doesn't actually take too long to get into Canada if you self apply for an immigrant type visa without company sponsorship, around 6 months appears to be the norm - dependant on academic and/or professional qualifications held. With sponsorship you can more or less be over there in a month or two.

Its bleedin cold though. I mean cold, freeze the fluid in your eyeballs type cold, serious minus numbers, I live south of Canada and I'm cold, have been since November, there is still ice on the ground and the 5 feet of snow we had since novemeber is less than they had in Toronto.

Quick edit: There is plenty of work for qualifieds and they were hardly touched by the recent recession.
6 months? When I applied we were looking at more like 39 months from initial application to , and then a further 6 months after that. I understand timescales have reduced since our application in 2006, but it's very dependent upon what trade / profession you can offer and whether or not Citizenship & Immigration Canada are accepting applications in your field.

The cold is not too bad, you just get appropriate clothing and get on with life.

Cheers

FW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Citizenship takes from 4 years minimum. Citizenship can only be taken once the prerequisite amount of time had passed as a permanent resident. To be accepted as a permanent resident generally the points system must be followed. It helps if either you or spouse are qualified in a pinch point civvie profession or trade. I have it on good authority from Ottawa that one must first be a Canadian citizen before applying to the Canadian military. Many years ago it was possible to join as a permanent resident, however, this entry point has since been closed. On the off chance that you learn otherwise, please let me know.

Misspelt in BATCO

Many years ago it was possible to join as a permanent resident, however, this entry point has since been closed. On the off chance that you learn otherwise, please let me know.
When I was looking to get involved in the Cadet world here, I was told that non-Canadians could be employed, but only with approval from DND HQ.

Citizenship requires, or required 2 years ago, 1095 days in country as a permanent resident - you need to record very day spent outside Canada. Once you've hit this magic number, you can apply for citizenship which takes another 12-18 months of processing during which time you'll take your citizenship test.

When I was looking to get involved in the Cadet world here, I was told that non-Canadians could be employed, but only with approval from DND HQ.

Citizenship requires, or required 2 years ago, 1095 days in country as a permanent resident - you need to record very day spent outside Canada. Once you've hit this magic number, you can apply for citizenship which takes another 12-18 months of processing during which time you'll take your citizenship test.

Indeed, which adds up to around 4/5 years.
My information with regards to enlistment comes from the Minister of National Defence.
Originally when I came over here, I was able to enlist in the reserve as a permanent resident. I left after around five years. Last year I was looking at reenlisting, but was informed that this was no longer an option for permanent residents, only citizens of Canada would be considered going forward. Not fully satisfied with this, I explored it further, only to receive the same answer from each level in the CoC.

Misspelt in BATCO

Ouch! I thought our 15 month delay was bad enough.... glad we've got all of the immigration bumf behind us now.

Quite a bloody pain in the arse, and, should you ever decide to return to the UK as a professional, you will need to sit the ESL exam before being permitted to work!
Where about did you settle? You out West or East?

Misspelt in BATCO

Quite a bloody pain in the arse, and, should you ever decide to return to the UK as a professional, you will need to sit the ESL exam before being permitted to work!
Where about did you settle? You out West or East?

Misspelt in BATCO
Bath, near Kingston in Ontario. Not likely to head back to UK in the near future, but have kept the British passport, and membership of a couple of UK professional bodies, just in case.

6 months? When I applied we were looking at more like 39 months from initial application to , and then a further 6 months after that. I understand timescales have reduced since our application in 2006, but it's very dependent upon what trade / profession you can offer and whether or not Citizenship & Immigration Canada are accepting applications in your field.

The cold is not too bad, you just get appropriate clothing and get on with life.

Cheers

FW

My Mrs is the Vice-President HR for Canada for a large US bank and she has a constant tumble of people from the UK and US into Canada. I have had her tell me it can take a few weeks to a few months if there is a sound business case to thrust under official noses. However, I have had her telling me that Canadian immigration told the sponsoring department to try again as they had made a weak initial case - so there is never a guarantee, I won't go into details.

She has also had the internal head hunters of a large Canadian bank flirting with her and they inform us that we could be there with papers in hand more or less immediately. We also looked into more or less self immigration a few years ago and were informed it would take around 6 months all in as she was financial sector.

NZ would take longer - but is very nice I am told.

The US she gets people into within a couple of months - at a cost of around $15K legal fee's - initially on one of the temporary work visa's then transfer to a greencard asap - which is taking around 12 month's at the moment. Our greencards for the US took around 9 months to come through. I have found out that basically anyone can get into the USA all it takes is a bit of dosh.

Citizenship takes from 4 years minimum. Citizenship can only be taken once the prerequisite amount of time had passed as a permanent resident. To be accepted as a permanent resident generally the points system must be followed. It helps if either you or spouse are qualified in a pinch point civvie profession or trade. I have it on good authority from Ottawa that one must first be a Canadian citizen before applying to the Canadian military. Many years ago it was possible to join as a permanent resident, however, this entry point has since been closed. On the off chance that you learn otherwise, please let me know.

Misspelt in BATCO
Ta for that, I recall that they require to actually spend the time in country too and not just saying you live at a convenient address. Every day you spend out of the country is added on to the time of your residency requirement pre-citizenship application.

Misspelt in BATCO
Ta for that, I recall that they require to actually spend the time in country too and not just saying you live at a convenient address. Every day you spend out of the country is added on to the time of your residency requirement pre-citizenship application.

Time out of the country can also have a bearing on your continued status as a permanent resident, very strict rules in regard to this.

Misspelt in BATCO

Time out of the country can also have a bearing on your continued status as a permanent resident, very strict rules in regard to this.

Misspelt in BATCO
Two years residency in every five to retain PR, and 1095 days in country for citizenship, and yes, they require actual presence in the country, not just having an accommodation address