Looking for Windproof 43 Jacket and Denison smock

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by fantassin, Sep 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know some shops in the UK are doing repro of those sought after items. Any idea if they are good quality or if it's still possible to locate one or the other for less than an arm and a leg ?
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I knew a lad who came by a Kabrit smock from stores. It wasnt a repro and i think was one of the reasons for the fire at Donnington in the 80's.
  3. Original denison smocks can still be had - Ebay still has a few going. WW2 issue obviously cost a fortune but 1950's issue onwards can be got for about £100 depending on size (larger=££££) and condition. A 1940's windproof (original SAS issue) went for over £200.

There is an online army surplus in America who sells denisons - I got one for £60 but that was a couple of years ago and I can't remember the shop name. Try a google.
  4. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

There was an eBay seller from Hong Kong doing windproofs in what looked to be good gaberdine copy material. Silvertheifs do one in a thick cotton and What Price Glory do one in a thinner cotton. Neither are a good colour match.

For Denison smocks try here: http://www.militarytour.com/Reproductions/WW11/CdnBritish/Smock.htm

email them to confirm shipping and remember the price is Canadian dollars. A very good repro indeed.

You could also try here: http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp
  5. I bought a repro Denison from an Indian firm called Replicaters (or possibly Replicators).

They offer a range of repro military kit on their website, aimed mainly at the film and TV market.

I found the speed of service, the value and the quality to be spot on - recommended.
  6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

They spontaneously ignite ? 8O
  7. Replicators have a terrible reputation, you were lucky!

Ask on here http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/

The guys there know their stuff (they can be a bit **** at times to be honest!)
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not quite but I think the fact that the stores unit was about to be audited when one building went up in smoke. As per usual it was full to the brim with everything that may have accidentally fallen into storemans car boots for the last 30 years and generated the FOFAD stamp for all requisitions.
  9. Just reading this thread,I had a rake through some of my old buckshees,and lo and behold I found my old windproof :D smells a bit but it's in cracking nick,all I need now is an old pair of army socks and I could make new cuffs,wish I had kept my denny tho :(
  10. General Melchett

Replicators have a very poor reputation. Steer clear.
  11. The bloke from Hong Kong who sells on ebay is known as Panzerfaust1944, if you email him he will just sell the jacket and not the whole suit. I bought one (don't know why really, just always liked the look of them) and they are good, a bit stiff when new but a few washes sorts it out. Buy a size larger than normal.
  12. Thank you all for the good addresses; I used to have a repro Windproof 43 from SASS in my younger years but I had to sell it...and SASS has stop making those for a long time now.
  13. General Melchett

Now, the Sutlers have a very "nice" website and the photos look great but I've seen some of their WW1 and WW2 stuff close up. Not good at all. Very poor, their ww1 and ww2 shirts are a load of tosh in the flesh as was the other stuff.
  14. General Melchett

Any chance of a piccie? Please. :)