Looking for up to date info on sending to BFPO addresses.

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by imedic, Sep 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had a quick search on the forum but most of the info seems a couple of years out of date and the MOD site seems confusing as fcuk.

I'm off soon and my family in the antipodes want to be able to send me parcels but I'm not too sure how it works.

The standard format seems to be:

Service No Rank Name
    Operation Name (If applicable)
    BFPO No

I've heard that my folks can just put "United Kingdom" under that and it would get to the UK where it would be redirected into the BFPO postal system but the MOD site says:

"Do not write any other address details after the BFPO number on the address, as this can lead to mail being diverted to the wrong BFPO location."

It also says:

"Customers posting items under the Enduring Free Mail Service MUST ENSURE that these items are physically handed over to a counter clerk at a UK Post Office or BFPO overseas."

As you can see, leaves me confused as fcuk.

And all parcels have to have a customs declaration too apparently. Oh the hoops we jump through for some haribo.
  2. Think you'll need someone in the UK to post you things.
  3. It all goes to a separate sorting centre where it is sorted by BFPO number, this is mostly automated so that is probably why they advise that you write nothing else after the standard address line. Are your folks sending you stuff from overseas? If not then I wouldn't worry about it. Sending stuff to theatre is straight forward and the post office staff should be able to advise them further. The declaration is a bit daft and takes no time at all.
  4. Note to self: RTFQ.......
  5. I'm tempted to tell them just to put "United Kingdom" on it and hope for the best. That said, postage aint cheap from that far away so another option is for them to buy stuff online from a UK retailer and have it shipped out to the BFPO. Doesn't really help if mum wants to send out some knitted woolly hats though.
  6. I'll pm you