Looking for some info on a 8ton 4x4 bedford TM

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by lemonaidjay, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hope this is the right place for this. I am looking for info on the diffs and transfercases that came in the Bedford 4x4 8ton cargo trucks. I have been looking all over the net and have not found much. Any help would be great .
    Thanks Jay

PS here is a picture of the truck
    [​IMG]

2. These people, just up the M6, may be able to help,
    British Commercial Vehicle Museum, King Street, Leyland, Preston.
    I had an 8 tonner with a skid mounted meadows 27 kva on the back, (in another life) providing power to mobile operating cabins, way back in 1900 and something

3. I an planing to build a monster truck jeep with the diffs and t-case. I will be takeing a 94 jeep YJ and adding 2 doors makeing it a 4 door . Then installing the diffs and t-case with some 4 link suspension parts and a 502 engine .66" tires to. my old truck was a 53 dodge on 2.5ton rockwell axles with 53" tires.

here is my old truck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and some video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-v5yhIUNuk

4. the diffs and t-case are in great shape and that is all I am keeping

5. I am looking for info on what make the t-case is what kind of gearing the diffs and t-case have I will be inspecting them but I do not want to count all the teeth.

6. Probably better on the REME forum, could a mod move please?

Cracking video - you obviously have a sense of humour trying that last one going across the ditch! :roll:

7. I'm no expert but I think its probably VOR

8. It's more complex than that, they have hub reduction gears as I recall. The easiest way to find what you want is to jack the rear wheels, remove the injectors and wind it over in the various gears noting what the results are at the wheel.

Bedford built loads of variants of these vehicles with different makes of gearbox and transfer box so I would recommend studying the one you've got.