Looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by squeekingsapper, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

Guys and Gals

I am rather foolishly planning on getting married next year and the boss wants to go on safari in South Africa on honeymoon to get some 'photos' as she is into her photography. As such, I am unashamedly looking for some recommendations where to go and more importantly where not to go.

We were originally looking at a fortnight in RSA on safari, at the end of September (apparently avoids the rainy and mosquito seasons?) and then a week in Cyprus as a feet up kind of holiday, however we are now looking at prehaps spending the third week still in RSA as well, and finding somewhere in country to relax with feet up.

Futurebootie has kindly supplied me with a list of do's, don'ts and also things to watch out for (many thanks), however I thought I would fire in a thread to see if anyone has any recommendations as to (1) what safari's to go for and what ones to avoid and (2) where to go for just a nice feet up weeks leave without hassle.

Safari wise, OH is keen on something like Sabi Sands or Kruger National Park, but we are open to suggestions if there is something better that you are aware of and in respect of the week of feet up, we are completely open to suggestions and any are welcome. Now the good news is that OH isn't an arrse user, so if anyone wanted to meet up for a few beers during the "feet up week" and as long as it isn't the wrong side of the country (looking at the globe RSA looks to be a little bigger than the Isle of Wright), it would be good to have a social and a few beers with a few fellow arrsers.

Many thanks in advance.

2. medikwe river lodge, I have been there and will strongly recomdn it . It is a private game reserve.Madikwe River Lodge
  3. Kruger is a great park, my cousin has just been over and returned yet again with superb photographs, including lion, elephant, rhino, hippo, giraffe, buffalo....................

As for somewhere to put your feet up we used to frequent this place on holiday many years back, but my brother has stayed for a few days earlier in the year and reckons it is still good - Morgan Bay Hotel | Morgan`s Bay Accommodation
  4. I've been there too and it's very good.
  5. squeekingsapper

Many thanks guys, We hadn't looked at either of these before and both look very good.
  6. Knysna's lovely - the train ride to Wilderness would be romantic for a honeymoon and Plettenburg Bay is probably good for photos
  7. Rent a houseboat on Knysna lagoon. Look up Lightley's Holiday Cruises. Brewery just up the road from the oyster farm so all your needs sorted. Drop me a line and if we're both in town around the same time (JNB) we can go for a jar or twelve at the small brewery in which I've just bought a share.
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

9. Get across to Sossusvlei in Namibia if you get the opportunity.
  10. squeekingsapper

Many thanks again, some great recommendations here.

Lardbeast, I believe that we are looking to at least fly in and out of J'burg, so I will keep you advised as to the dates.

11. If you have thought about Cape Verde blow that idea out.You will be told to stay in your hotel complex as it is not safe to do the ``tourist bit``.