Looking for pathway for ATO

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Sir_Fork, Mar 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I'm an 18 year old student in the last year of my A levels, and I'm unsure of what I should be doing in the future. I've always loved the training I've got from the CCF, and while I know it's not anything compared to the regular army, it's a start. A few years ago, I had a talk from some guys from PWRR, and bomb disposal was mentioned. It was something that always played on my mind and as I get to needing to choose what I really want to do, it keeps cropping up.

    The thing is that I don't really know how to get there. I think I'm capable of getting a degree and joining up as an officer, but what would this entail? Also, if I go to do a uni course, what would be best? I've been thinking Chemistry, but I'm not too sure.

    I'm not sure if any of you could help, but it would be nice to get some people's views on how the system works before I get lost in it, and it would of course, be greatly appreciated.
  2. General Melchett

    General Melchett LE Moderator

    ATO - Join RLC as an Officer, take ATO course after 2-3 years, do ATO stuff for 3 years go back to trucks and post.

    AT - Join RLC as soldier, pass AT course, do AT stuff for 22 years plus.

    ACIO best place to give you advice especially if you specifically ask for info on ATO/AT.
  3. Or.........

    AT- Join RLC as soldier, pass AT course and then get given the option of ammo storage or transfer to the RE to carry out EOD function.

    Tin hat on!
  4. That will put 'em off!!!
  5. Getting truer by the day! The EOD future is Wedge shaped!

    Not that we think it's a good future :p :p
  6. I think your best effort would be to try to get to Uni.

    Go for hard science such as physics/chemistry or engineering at the best institution you can get into... just don't do something like meeja studies!

    Once there, have look at the OTC (no - don't laff!!) or join the TA... National is best as the time commitment is less, and you do need to study (sometimes...!) RLC TA do a good Potential Officer scheme out of Grantham... (and you can go and play with 531 Ammo Tech..). Then go regular when you graduate!

    If you don't want to do the Ossifer thing, then still join national TA while you are at Uni...

    If you don't get into Uni (and frankly if you can't, you are unlikely to be selected for AT) then join up as a soldier (RE may take you..!)
  7. Cheers guys. I reckon I can get on a uni course in chemistry. I may get up to Chelmsford to have a butchers at the ACIO there. But yea, thanks a lot. :desertsoldier:
  8. Why not try for a Bursery under the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme and get £4,000 a year plus summer placement & pay while you study if accepted!


    Or phone the RLC Army Recruiting Information Line on 08457 300 111

    Mind you, you need to be good....