Looking for infos on Australian and UK forces in Syria in 1941

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by fantassin, Feb 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody could point me in the right direction ? I would be interested by any infos explaining what units were facing the Vichy French, both from Australia and the UK and who did what in the Syria AOR during this most unfortunate campaign.

Thanks to all.

2. No luck with google? Seriously, not being smart.

3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Wiki is actually fairly reliable in this instance: Syria-Lebanon Campaign order of battle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This page mentions a Mech Regt of the Arab Legion as part of Habforce in central Syria, but I'm sure I've read there were other Arab Legion units also. Note too that the Aussie 7th Div had a joint Australian/Palmach (Jewish Palestine)/Arab recce outfit which Moshe Dayan was attached to and who he was with when he lost his eye to a Vichy sniper.

4. Thank you very much for that, I think it will fit the bill just right !

As for Moshe Dayan, I had read a French source which claimed he had been hit by a 8 mm Hotchkiss MG manned by Senegalese Rifles, not a sniper. Not saying this is right, just for info's sake....

5. A couple of interesting maps showing the two phases of the campaign

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source:

Smith, Colin. England's Last War Against France: Fighting Vichy 1940-1942. Weidenfeld & Nicolson, London, 2009. ISBN 978-0-297-85218-6

6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Interesting too that the British didn't institute a separate campaign star for the Middle East or recognise service there in any of the other campaign stars. True, the campaign was short, but to give just one point - the Australians took almost as many KIA in those few months as they did during their involvement in Viet Nam. I've always wondered if it was a political thing i.e. fighting Frenchmen (albeit Vichy types) not something we wanted trumpeted.

7. The Africa star was awarded to anyone who served in the Middle East or Africa. There was an 8th army clasp awearded to men who had serv ed in the 8th Army, but the fact that this was for service post El Alemein was a sore point at the time. When asked by Montgomery where he served in the Middle East before presenting him his MC, Robin Dunn, wounded in June 1942 claims to have said "before it was fashionable sir"

8. The real question is 'which units scored the quadfecta?' Ie fought Germans, Italians, French and Japanese.

The follow up is did any get it in WW1 Ie Germans, Austro-Hungarians, Ottomans, Bulgarians.

9. A fusilier battalion surrendering to the French explains why they are now on the path to being a non-regiment.

• Like Like x 1
  10. A particularly good book - and a great author, who I write to from time to time.

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Not so. The Africa Star covered everything from the Straits of Gibraltar up to the Suez:
    Most British units, that served in the Levant (and Persia) went on to serve in other Star qualifying theatres, but those that were killed or made hors de combat there got no special recognition that had been in an overseas operational theatre.

12. Thank you all for the very good inputs; I will forward that to an old gentleman who is currently trying to write a family history for his grand-children; his father took part in this campaign on the Vichy side.

As for decorations, the same policy applied to the Free French forces; de Gaulle refused to award Croix de Guerre to his troops for fighting other frenchmen....

13. I think parts of the 6th Austrlian division fought against all four - 2/2 2/5 andf the divisional cavalry and pioneers?

It is doubtful whether there can be any formed British or Commonwealth unit which fought against all four central powers. There units which fought in Salonika and Palestine (against Turks and Bulgarians) and some which fought in France and Italy against Germans and Austro hungarians, but none that served in Salonika and Italy. ???

14. The Australian War Memorial has plenty of documents online. For example, this official history

Australia in the War of 1939

John(???) Masters, an Anglo Indian officer, in one of his autobiographies, goes through 10 Indian Division role in this campaign

15. Thanks - re-reading the source for the quote "Wig and sword" you would be awarded the Africa star for service in GHQ Cairo - West of the Canal.