Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for information on Army Boxing during First World War

Specifically for my grandfather, L/Cpl Frederick Bateman of 1/22 Battalion London Regiment (Queen's) Royal West Surrey. He fought in France where I believe he also boxed. I've had no luck with the Regiment or the Boxing Board of Control in finding out any more and would be grateful for any leads or insights.

ugly

LE
Boxing at unit level may not have attracted much official interest beyond reporting the results

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
have you looked at the regimental diaries ?
my great uncles show all of the R and R involved and against which regiment
although not great in small details
Great War Trench newspapers may have more information

Poppy

LE
my grandad was called Fred Bateman and he was in WW1 - he was from Sharp Street in Hull- not the same one by any chance? He was a vicar

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, have seen the diaries but will revisit. Thanks for ideas. Didn't know about the Trench newspapers being available.
another thing worth checking is who were the local vicars for the regiment, they oftne kept diaries and many wrote books about it and personal letters are kept in archives

Latest Threads