Looking for info

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, Dec 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

[​IMG]
    Any ideas please, dates in service if at all and were any manuals issued?

2. It's an infra-red weapon sight.

Next.

3. ToS - obviously!

4. I thought you were about to seriously impress me Snail.. then the picture loaded fully and I saw the bottom bit..

:roll:

Oh and it's on an SLR.. so sometime during the life of said weapon...

5. looks like a brit version of the german wwii vampire sight.

6. Its a spam M3 of Korea vintage, developed from the M1 of WW2 vintage.

Any fule whos played "return from Castle Wolfenstein" knos that....

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/m3irsnip.htm

Interesting quote that, if true, is something that deserves more historian attention:

"These infrared weapons were developed in 1943 by the Army, precisely to defeat the infiltration tactics of the Japanese. Although fewer than 500 units were actually used, the Sniperscope accounted for about 30% of total Japanese casualties suffered by small-arms fire during the first week of the Okinawa campaign."

7. Note the cable, which by the look of the picture is plugged into a Bosco Generator. State of the art, if you are firing from the comfort of your living room. :twisted:

8. As the weapon looks like a FN rifle how could it be used in Korea. I would date this to around the 1960's

9. imagine bimbling around raghead land with that baby!!

10. IIRC they were in Sqn G1098 in Armoured Regts in the 70's, dunno when they were withdawn thobut. Manuals were in the box ISTR.

11. I think the big round bit on the top was a hearing aid :D

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks folks, this is for a Kiwi SLR collector who is seeking information on all sights experimental included. I have sent him the link and looking forward to his comments. Some pics I have recently posted are his!

13. Would it have been specially designed for nocturnal Haggis hunting?

(Just speculating, that's all FFS!)