Looking For Info

Hiya Chaps,

I really didn't know where to put this so I figured I'd give here a go. If there's somewhere more appropriate then mods please move!

Long time lurker (sounds a bit voyeuristic) first time poster trying to track down some info about my Granddad and wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I've got his service number somewhere, I know he was MiD in 1945 and was a Bombardier in the RA. I just wanted to find out what the MiD was all about and to find out a bit more about his Bn and what they got up to. I have tracked him down on forces-war-records.co.uk but they want 8 quid to look at said "record" which for all I know is just his name and number and the fact he was in the gazette.

Anyway if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative :)

Cheers

Hiya Chaps,

I really didn't know where to put this so I figured I'd give here a go. If there's somewhere more appropriate then mods please move!

Long time lurker (sounds a bit voyeuristic) first time poster trying to track down some info about my Granddad and wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I've got his service number somewhere, I know he was MiD in 1945 and was a Bombardier in the RA. I just wanted to find out what the MiD was all about and to find out a bit more about his Bn and what they got up to. I have tracked him down on forces-war-records.co.uk but they want 8 quid to look at said "record" which for all I know is just his name and number and the fact he was in the gazette.

Anyway if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative :)

Cheers
As far as I know a service record that recent is sill held by the Ministry of Defence. You can get a copy off them but you will need to prove your relationship. The Gazette is searchable online but will probably just say something like the following are MID with a list of names.

Hiya Chaps,

Cheers
Do NOT give the robbing sods a penny! WWII records have NOT been released: you will have to make an application here https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-per...service-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

It'll cost you 30 of your English quids.

Cheers Chaps

I think he was 103rd Fd Regt. I guess they were (are) a light gun volunteer regt. Will be cool to see what they got up to!

Latest Threads