looking for info

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by squadie_brat, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All, just popped in to ask if any of you can direct me to some places to look for more info on my dads service (this would be 30+ years ago)
    I've always been interested in his storys etc, so I figured I would look him up online, but i cant find anything :(

note: did my best to find a relevant section to post this under, but no joy, so figured the NAAFI would be as good a place as any, sorry if i was wrong.

any help much appreciated, thanks.

2. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Try and get hold of manning and records in Glasgow, they should be able to help you out.
  3. Welcome to the site, S_B!

The search engine is pretty good:

Look here

Good luck with your search.

4. Hi guys,
    thanks for such a warm welcome, and all your help :D
    have checked the post you linked to, and the search, still turning up blanks at the moment :(
    am currently looking up manning and records.
    in the meantime, do you know of anywhere i can look up medal lists etc? specifically lists on BEM's issued for gallantry?

thanks again all.

5. You might try contacting the London Gazette archive. Best of luck, it's always nice to hear of young people wanting to learn more about their family's history. Even nicer to be able to read a legible post. :D
  6. I have the information about which department deals with records somewhere. I'll try to find it.

Wikipedia shows:

Other posters on here know much more about the award of medals than I do, but I think you should check the London Gazette for January and June from 1958 to 1974. It is on-line. Alternatively, your local library may have the microfilms for the Times and/or Telegraph. I have used a printed index to the Times for the 1950s and 1960s but that was in a major library. Surnames were featured.

7. On-line search at the London Gazette (the official journal where all these things are published).
  8. cheers guys, i found my dads BEM entry :D
    cant find entrys on anything else about him though :?

thanks very much for your help :D
  9. What did you expect to find, S_B?

The London Gazette will have gazetted his award. I don't know where the citation for his BEM will be held but someone on here might know. Have you checked Soldier magazine for any articles written about him at the time? You might have to ring their office to establish where their archive is held. MOD Main Building and the Prince Consort Library in Aldershot both have archives of Soldier magazines but they are not complete. The British Library should also hold an archive. If he was in Germany, Sixth Sense might have covered it. I suggested checking the Times index earlier; hard work but worthwhile.

You will have to go to the MOD in Glasgow for his record of service which will tell you where he was posted during his service.

Other than that, I would only expect him to appear in the records when he bumped into bureacracy: births, deaths, marriages, prison, electoral rolls and the censuses.

10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Someone in the family may still have his red book. That will detail postings (at least in general terms "Home" "BAOR" etc), as well as any awards, courses etc.
  11. i just expected him to have appeared more times. he holds a double BEM, so i was expecting at least twice. dont think his campaign medals would be in there.
    by the way, he is actually still alive. im just searching for info on him for the fun of it really, because it interests me. sorry if i was misleading on that point. its also a bit of a hassle for him when i ask about these things, he prefers to tell his storys etc as he remembers them, off the cuff if you know what i mean.
    i will ask him about his red book though, maybe he still has it :D

thanks again.
  12. If your Dad is still alive, only he can contact the MOD for his record of service!

Good drills to him for surviving >30 years after he survived BAOR! :D

I'll raise a glass to him this evening!

13. My advice to you would be to write down all of his stories, anecdotes and general ramblings as and when they occur, whatever order they are in, you can sort the sequence out later, but you might never get the chance to get the details again later. I missed the opportunity with my old man, who I now know had an interesting war, but it would have been much better if I had paid a bit more attention on the few occasions he did talk about it.