Looking for info on WW2 para tactics

#1
Hi there all. I’m about to start playing a table top war game called “Flames of war” with my brothers and some friends, I’m going British paras. Only major problem I have is my eldest brother is going Germans and he is a major modern history buff, so knows a hell of a lot about German tactics and whoops my ass every time we play any war game. So would be handy if I could read up on para infantry tactics, especially against armour since the other players are going to have a fair bit of it. Wouldn’t mind whooping their asses when we start playing, especially since I’m wanting to join the regs and don’t want them having any bragging rights over me!
 
#2
Get yourself a 'tabletop' PIAT.
 
#4
Pillager said:
You join the regs and become a proper soldier and your brother is going to have bragging rights because he beat you at warhammer (or somesuch)

Can you explain?
The bragging rights is just a joke, a crap joke at that granted. Im planning on joining as an officer, how can i be a good one if i cant win a battle with lead minatures.
 
#7
hbm, I imagine a problem with ‘realism’ in tabletop war gaming is that in the game everyone can see all deployments? While confrontation with tanks was to be avoided if possible, if a tank had to be dealt with by Paratroops or Commandos, it could come down to engagement by stealth by use of a sticky-bomb or a grenade in a portal, and hopefully thereafter small arms on evacuating crew? If a PIAT was used, the short range again relied on being close, hence not being seen by the tank. You don’t mention anything about terrain for the engagement, the objective, and what the other British forces compose.

No.9
 
#9
Well if you´re going to play at paras,why not try dropping behind his panzers and surprising him?After all that´s their main(and basically their only) weapon............Surprise!

Oh, don´t forget that there were some gliders capable of carrying sherman(?) tanks and other anti-tank weaponry,like to see his face when you turn-up with your own armour dropping from the sky.If you just use frontal attack tactics you´re gonna get your arrse kicked!

Thought of air-support?No grunt should ever be without it. :twisted:
 
#10
Kick the board over and then stick a commando knife to his neck until he surrenders.

You win.

Tsk, this is what I am paid for. Solutions to problems.
 

Alsacien

MIA
Moderator
#11
here_be_mike said:
So would be handy if I could read up on para infantry tactics, especially against armour since the other players are going to have a fair bit of it.
Tactics are based on the limited number of pure Para ops, but generally:

Jump.
Duck.
Unclip chute.
Fire.
Run for cover.

March to nearest bridge.
Attack heroically until ammo runs low.
Hide from tanks. (Projectile Infantry Anti-Tank bounces off Tiger tanks).
Wait for the cavalry to show up.

This worked very well for Sean Connery - so should be good enough for you :D
 

Alsacien

MIA
Moderator
#13
Fallschirmjager said:
Alsacien said:
March to nearest bridge.
Attack heroically until ammo runs low.
Hide from tanks. (Projectile Infantry Anti-Tank bounces off Tiger tanks).
Wait for the cavalry to show up.
Though the cavalry jacked on us in the end.
Only, IIRC, because Michael Caine had traffic problems - now if John Wayne had been the cavalry..... :wink:
 
#16
"now if John Wayne had been the cavalry..... "

Not fair, he would have had Hollywood handgrenades that can blow a tank up, smallarms that never need reloading, automatics that shoot 10 enemy for every bullet at any range (while concentrated enemy fire hits SFA), and the only Ally to get shot is the young man with a Polish name who's just had a message he's going home. :roll:

No.9
 
#17
here_be_mike said:
Afraid not :oops: I feel an old fashioned 5.56 ripping coming on soon from you lot.
Dear here_be_mike

Ok, do you know me? I dont think you do, quite frankly dont even think you existed when those things happened (ripping's).

Try these Websites

http://www.warhammer.org.uk/
http://www.ihaveasmallpenis.com/

************************************************

WAH WAH is your second name walt? Are you pale scrawny and have nhs prescription glasses? Instead of playing with your little men and increasing your very small manhood go out there and do something useful. If i broke one of your little men would you cry?

Think you can insult me huh? Think again!
 
#18
5.56mm said:
here_be_mike said:
Afraid not :oops: I feel an old fashioned 5.56 ripping coming on soon from you lot.
Dear here_be_mike

Ok, do you know me? I dont think you do, quite frankly dont even think you existed when those things happened (ripping's).

Try these Websites

http://www.warhammer.org.uk/
http://www.ihaveasmallpenis.com/

Sorry if you took offence, none intended. Just felt i was about to get the crap ripped out of me so thought id try and make a joke about it, funniest one i could think up while red faced was referring to some of the rippings you had ages ago. When i first started reading this site there was lots of chat about them. Again sorry for any offence I wasnt trying to be a cnut at your expense.
 
#19
midnight said:
If you just use frontal attack tactics you´re gonna get your arrse kicked!

Thought of air-support?No grunt should ever be without it. :twisted:
Hence why im on here asking for any info as i couldnt find any. Air support im deffinatly going for, well aware im going to need it. Was hoping for some good'ol arty landing on them but no such joy so far in the rules :(


No.9 said:
hbm, I imagine a problem with ‘realism’ in tabletop war gaming is that in the game everyone can see all deployments? While confrontation with tanks was to be avoided if possible, if a tank had to be dealt with by Paratroops or Commandos, it could come down to engagement by stealth by use of a sticky-bomb or a grenade in a portal, and hopefully thereafter small arms on evacuating crew? If a PIAT was used, the short range again relied on being close, hence not being seen by the tank. You don’t mention anything about terrain for the engagement, the objective, and what the other British forces compose.

No.9
Realism to a great extent isn’t going to happen in this case since it’s merely a game. Though when you ask about terrain and objectives I realise that’s what I should have been asking. Basically I know I’m going to have to use terrain to its full advantage using lots of covering fire and so on. Though would it be best to essentially let the tank come to me or try to attack it rather than sit in a semi defensible position?

Terrain will vary with each time we play (just place random hills and trees around the table), but buildings, bund lines, clusters of trees and maybe the odd bunker will be there to use along with deployable smoke. As for deployments we see all the other players models set up when we start, though I think I can withhold some for deployment later in the game as reinforcements. Need to check that one up, I’m only just starting to read the rules, was asking this so I had some food for thought as I read them.

Also I’m going to be composed entirely of infantry, maybe some light vehicles via gliders (if in the new rules) or vehicles if it’s not an aerial deployment. Other players are going to have a mixture of mainly troops but defiantly armour in the form of recce and tanks plus some artillery. Went Para as its going to be interesting figuring out how to play them properly against all this!


Yup defiantly looking back at my OP this is bit of a sad waltish question to ask :p
 

Latest Threads

Top