Looking for help and donations if possible!

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by indigo, Jan 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Through the wonders of Facebook, I discovered that one of the guys I used to be in the same Battery as me many moons ago is seriously ill with a brain tumour. The diagnosis is bleak, but he's pulling himself together so that he can do something to help himself and others with the same condition.

He's had a rough ride and I'd be most obliged if anyone could help out with a small donation to help his cause. The facebook link is below, as well as the text that his wife has posted up for what the group is about and what they are trying to achieve with any donations.

Link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=46613770185

Text: Apologies for the caps, it's a straight copy and paste :/

AS MANY OF YOU KNOW IN APRIL 2008, MY HUSBAND, IAN O'KEEFE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH TERMINAL BRAIN CANCER KNOWN AS GLIOBLASTOMA MULTIFORM (GBM)GRADE 4...WITH GRADE 1 YOU LIVE FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS OR SO, GRADE 2 AROUND 10, GRADE 3 AROUND 5 BUT WITH 4 ITS HARDLY ANYTHING.....ITS DESCRIBED AS SCRAMBLED EGG IN SAND. THE LIFE EXPECTANCY IS BETWEEN 6MTHS TO 2 YEARS.WITH THE CHEMO HE HAS BEEN ON , IT HAS ALLOWED HIM TO HAVE THAT CHANCE OF LIVING FOR A LITTLE BIT LONGER.......IAN IS NOW HAVING 3 MTHS OFF CHEMO THEN IN MARCH STARTS AGAIN...THE OBVIOUS MAY HAPPEN FROM NOW TILL THEN, TUMOUR RAPIDLY GROWS BACK AND A SECOND CRANIOTOMY ....YOU ONLY GET 3 OP'S WITH THIS CANCER.....THE CHEMO HE IS ON AT THE MOMENT IS AROUND £15.00...WHICH HE PAYS FOR......BUT BY SOME CHANCE I WAS FLICKING THROUGH A CANCER SITE, AND CAME ACROSS A FORUM ABOUT A DRUG CALLED "AVASTIN"...THIS POWERFUL DRUG CUTS OFF THE BLOOD SUPPLY TO THE TUMOUR, THEREFORE KILLING OR SHRINKING IT IN ITS PATH, IN MOST CASES , THE PATIENTS WHO TOOK THIS DRUG LASTED 19 MORE MONTHS THAN THEY HAD BEEN GIVEN. BUT LIKE ALL DRUGS THEY DONT COME CHEAP, AND THE FACT THAT EVEN THOUGH ITS AVAILABLE HERE, IT IS NOT FUNDED BY THE NHS.... SO IN ORDER FOR IAN TO SURVIVE A LITTLE LONGER WE WILL HAVE TO RAISE OVER £1000, HENCE THE MIDNIGHT MARATHON.....

IAN HAS DECIDED TO DO A 26.5 MILE WALK THROUGH THE NIGHT TO RAISE THE MONEY TO PAY FOR HIS TREATMENT.

IT WILL TAKE PLACE ON SATURDAY 14TH MARCH AT 12 O'CLOCK MIDNIGHT. (23.59)
    IT WILL START AT STOKES BAY, NUMBER 2 BATTERY CAR PARK (THE MAIN CAR PARK NEAR BAY HOUSE)
    AND HOPEFULLY END AT 2 BATTERY AROUND 10AM SUNDAY IF ALL GOES WELL....

BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP, WE AS MANY PEOPLE AS WE CAN GET TO JOIN IAN ON THIS MIDNIGHT WALK, TO GET SPONSERS AND RAISE SOME MONEY FOR THIS VITAL DRUGTHATS SO DESPERATELY NEEDED.

IF YOU JUST WANT TO DO 5....10....OR 20 MILES, YOU CAN STILL JOIN IN TO GET THE SPONSERS ANY HELP WILL BE FANTASTIC. BUT WE ARE HOPING THERE IS ALOT OF 26 MILER'S.....

WE KNOW THAT FOR SOME OF YOU WHO HAVE KIDS ITS HARD TO EVEN TRY AND DO THIS SO DONT WORRY, THE MUMS OR DADS THAT WANT TO DO JUST A SMALL WALK SOMEWHERE CAN DO THAT TOO....

PLEASE REPLY AND LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO THIS THEN ONCE WE HAVE YOUR NAME'S ETC, WE WILL GET ALL THE SPONSERSHIP FORMS TO YOU.

IF ON THE OTHER HAND YOU WOULD LIKE TO DONATE THEN SEND IAN OR ME YOUR MSN ADDY AND WE WILL GIVE YOU AN ACCOUNT YOU CAN DONATE TOO WITH REF: "MIDNIGHT MARATHON 2009" ...

WE ARE HOPING THAT IF WE HAVE RAISED WELL OVER WHAT THE DRUG COSTS TO DONATE THE REST TO THE GBM CHARITY IN HELPING THEM WITH OTHER GBM PATIENTS...

thankyou for taking the time to read this, if you dont want to do a walk and just want to donate then please do so...thankyou for your time.xxx

2. bump, nearly 50 views and not a comment or a quid? is this in a low traffic area of the forum??? could the mods move it somewhere more noticeable?