Looking for Guidance.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Mudkipz, Dec 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello there.

I'm 15 Years old, Haven't been to school since I were about 12 (Pulled out and Home Schooled, Officially have no Education etc) and have some questions about signing up.

Firstly, I weigh about 18 Stone. Yeah, I am working on it, Gonna get nowhere unless I loose that weight. - I Have problems with my ankles (They seem to just lock up and ache after a while of running or anything like that). This used to happen to me when I was a lot younger (9-11) Playing outside, I never used to weigh that much (About 12 stone I would say) - This is obviously going to pose as a problem for me - Does anyone know if it's the amount of weight on them or if it's another issue ?. I also get Back ache which I know is due to the weight. - I'm about 6'2 in height.

Mentally I believe I have what it takes to go that extra thousand miles to achieve a given target. I am also a person of principle and love my country (That's ENGLAND, Not "Great Britain", Thank you.)

Regarding choices of jobs in the army, I am so confused because there are many things I would like to do, Although I have a specific interest in Artillery.

Many thanks.
  2. Think you're best off going to the docs regarding the ankles you cant really expect proper advice on an internet forum for such problems, good luck with it : )
  3. I this a whaaaa, If not you have no chance of passing your medical unless you do some pritty radical training witch at your weight would probably be life threatening
  4. It is the British Army so if you have a huge chip on your shoulder regarding the Welsh, Scots and Irish you are in for a shock.
  5. You should be aware that your lack of qualifications will be a problem for a lot of jobs. Have you considered going back to school and doing couple of GCSEs; at least English and Maths. Whatever you do in the world, these days it's hard to cope without those two.

At 6'2" and 252lb. your BMI is 32.4, so at the moment chances are you'd fail a medical for being obese. Diet and exercise is the way forward, but SEE YOUR DOCTOR FIRST; if your ankles aren't used to supporting your weight then you haven't been taking much exercise recently and it may well be that your heart isn't up to it either.

Jobs-wise, you've got plenty of time to research what you want to do whilst you gather the useful qualifications and improve your fitness at a safe, steady rate. No rush.

Best of luck to you :)
  6. You love this country? I often forget where I am
  7. Hey, Thank you very much for the replies - Yeah, The weight thing is going to be an issue.. And no - I Don't find it hard to exercise and have no problems with my breathing/heart whilst doing so. I am going to be starting college at the start of next year. Definitely going to be taking English and Maths, I'm considering also taking up Engineering in the military but wonder what qualifications I would need for that? (Engineering Obviously, But any specifics?)

Many Thanks.
  8. Wow. I am also 15 and I weigh 10 stone, so you're twice as heavy as me and just 2-3 inches taller. That definitely needs some work. Do you have a local gym nearby? I would recommend getting a weight loss program and then working on gaining (some) of the weight back by getting some muscle.

As for qualifications; you really need to start working on doing GCSEs in at least English, Maths and Science as most jobs in the army require C's or above in these.

Goodluck :)
  9. First off go and see your GP for a full medical. Mention the ankles and the back and the fact that you wish to lose weight and exercise more.
    At your age there is still a lot of musculo-skeletal development going on so any exercise should be in the shape of cycling, swimming or running. Playing a team sport can be useful as the enjoyment of the sport itself can make exercise easier. Don't do any weight training and don't try to run with a back pack.
    You don't need any special gear to go running in, it's going to get sweaty and dirty so old teeshirts and jogging bottoms are fine. What is important is to make sure that you have a good fitting well made pair of trainers. Badly fitting footwear and cause rotational problems at, guess where - yes the ankles, knees, hips or back!
    If you decide to go running then set yourself a distance that will take you about thirty minutes to complete at your normal running pace. Judge your runs in time, not distance. Be determined to run for 30 minutes, it doesn't matter how far that is. Don't try to go too fast, remember it is pace that kills not distance. When you start getting a little fitter then you can up the pace and aim for distance as well. Don't wear an IPod when you are out running, it will reduce your awareness of your environment as you may not hear such things as cars etc.
    Whatever you do and, provided your GP gives you the ok, take your time and do it properly, you have plenty of time before you can join the Army to get yourself in shape properly. Avoid sweets, high sugar drinks, crisps and fast food like the plague.
  10. I am a Welshman myself, speak the lingo,love the people and love my country more than anything, but like Disco said it is the British Army that I am applying for and i couldn't be prouder of that, best army, best damned country in the world, full of Englishmen (Boo :wink: ) Welshmen, Irishmen and Scotsmen, you sound like you have a problem with that and if you do my friend then you should think of what your doing. I am very proud to be British AND Welsh, that is the beauty of it, now grow up and go for a run!
  11. For those of you who have not come across it before: Gentlemen, I give you pedantry. The English, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh make up the United Kingdom. Great Britain is made up of the English, Scottish and Welsh. The British Army is made up of many nationalities, including Irish (ROI), Nepalese, Fijian and a whole raft of other nationalities brought together by a common cause.