Discussion in 'Classified Ads' started by Invershneckie, Nov 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. THE RED PAW SEARCH! The Red Paw Badge was worn by members of the Army Dog Unit Northern Ireland - a unique Army unit made up of volunteers from every regiment/corps, but disbanded in 2007 when the personnel were no longer required for 'the troubles' in Northern Ireland. The unit started in 1973 and the volunteer dog handlers trained and worked with dogs known as "Wagtails" (arms & explosives search dogs), "Snappers" (guard dogs) and "Groundhogs" (tracker dogs). The Red Paw badge represented the dogs' feet bleeding after carrying out searches in the debris following bombings, etc., in NI. We are trying to contact the ex-dog handlers to join a recently formed Association. By next year we would like to have contacted enough of them for there to be sufficient numbers to take part in the Cenotaph march past in November - all the various regiments combined into one unit in their own right, representing the ADU NI, to honour their lads killed in NI (sometimes the dog as well). To this end the Army Dog Unit Northern Ireland Association have launched a website which has had tremendous support so far. www.armydogunit-ni.co.uk pretty well everything you need to know is on the site) but in view of the number of regiments involved we are finding it very difficult to contact the ex-dog handlers, now spread far and wide, especially those who served in Northern Ireland in the 70's and 80's (50-60 ish age group now). We would be truly grateful if you would give this cause your consideration. Thank you for your time. R Shevill Royal Engineers, ADU-NI 1976
  2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

3. No we dont know who Stumpy is? but if anyone does know! please let him know about www.armydogunit-ni.co.uk and we have a date for our Memorial Ceremony to honour those of ADU N.I. who died from 1973-2007 on the 1st August 2009 at the National Memorial Arboretum at 2:00pm, ex members can contact me at; pressliaison@armydogunit-ni.co.uk for more details.

4. I must correct you......
    ...............THE greatest thread on here of all time!
  5. Mods - maybe a move from Classified Ads is called for to maybe get a better audience?

Is there a 'looking for ex-dog handlers' section on here somewhere?
  6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I've got to page 4 and haven't laughed so much for a long time. Shame Auld Sapper has disappeared. Brilliant writing. Anyone every hear from him privately?

I think this afternoon will be doing a bit of light reading and getting looks for laughing out aloud!
  7. Been reading his exploits the last couple of days. The missus thinks i've lost the plot, and gone barking (no pun intended)
  8. i as with adu ni in 1970s