Looking for book - about Wing in Ground unit

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by napier, Jan 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

I remember reading a book many years ago; it was set in the near future and was about a US unit operating WIGs. It might have been called something like 'The Regiment' - but I could be wrong. Anyone able to help?

And yes, before anyone asks, I have wiki'd & googled.

2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Bugger, yes. I recall something like that. I keep hearing the name 'Dale Brown' in my head, but not at all sure it was him!

3. napier

No, I've googled his books and didn't find anything that matched. I do remember reading 'Flight of the Old Dog' though.

4. Yep, definately Dale Brown: 'Flight Of The Old Dog' was the first of a series, centered mostly on Patrick McLanahan.

5. napier

From wiki, all of Dale Brown's books are Air Force based and I can find no reference to this book. This book was about an Armored (sic) Cavalry unit conducting low level/ground fighting. IIRC the WIGs were equipped with rail guns and were the primary fighting platform in a much reduced US Army.

6. I have no info on the book, but if you cross-post to the US forum, someone might see your query who might not look in this forum.

7. Still think its one of Brown's: 'Shadows Of Steel/Ring of Steel' rings a bell. Was the synopsis along the lines of a US Army Reserve/NG unit finding itself deployed to the Gulf when the regular Armd Div was struck down by some bug and then said US STABs finding themselves up to their beam ends in Revolutionary Guards??

8. napier

No, it was based in/after a future conflict; the main hero-type being a former heli pilot(?) struck down by some disfiguring disease common to the conflict. He then remusters into this WIG unit (which has an Israeli in it?) and conducts some daring missions before dying bravely at the end. Thats about all I can remember, but I recall it was quite good.

9. Ah, in that case, it probably is not one of Brown's.

.............annoyingly, however, your absentee does sound like a Thundering Good Read and I hope you can identify it for future ref.

10. napier

You beauty - thats the badger

11. napier

Sadly not available as an e-book, but I got a 2nd hand copy from ebay for £2.68 with free postage. Such is the power of ARRSE.

12. Sounds good from the reviews on amazon, try play.com for a copy 8)