Looking for Advice on Councelling Courses

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Blokeonabike, May 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been asked to find out (and where better than on ARRSE) if there are any of the Service related charities that need councellors (voluntary or employed) and are willing to provide training as such.

The individual in question has a strong record of voluntary charity work and has previously acted as a councellor for cancer sufferers (but is not formally qualified). She cannot afford to pay for a course in order to do voluntary work.

Any advice on where to look (or alternatively to tell me to stop wasting my time looking) would be appreciated.

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

SSAFA and the RBL might be good places to start.

3. MIND also my be useful perhaps.

4. Is it an absolute requirement that it be service-related? If not, then your friend could try looking at her local alcohol counselling service, most of whom offer good training and mentoring. Be warned, though, it can be very heavy going, and 'unconditional positive regard' is a must, as clients tend to be the sort that you would normally cross the motorway to avoid (though it is for this reason that the training is good and highly regarded).