Looking for a game can you advise?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Dwarf, Jul 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On holiday soon.

I am not hugely knowledgable about computers or games, and would like to find a game that operates with units rather than individuals at tactical or strategic level.

I used to enjoy the Simulations Publications and Avalon Hill games which worked on maps divided into hexagons and units from company to division/corps depending on the game. This is what I had in mind but have been unable to find any.

If you can help thanks in advance.
  2. Try the UFO series, both UFO aftermath and UFO afterlight are highly recommended. You can pick up both for under £15.

Have a look at the website Aftershock Afterlight

You will lose a lot of your holiday though, getting your troops trained up to heavy weapons and snipers. Giving the enemy a full face blast from a shotgun causes some impressive body flying animation!

3. What about Armed assault (or ARMA as it's known) I haven't played it but I played operation flashpoint to death (arma is the seqeul)

You play from a first person perspective as an individual in a section at first but soon you will be in charge of the section and issueing fire control orders and the like, the first one (flashpoint ) was very realistic, although the enemy is a bit stupid at times.
  4. Thanks for those so far, look fun, and I will be checking them out.
    However I was looking for something on the lines of Divisional WW1/WW2 /WW3 if you know.
    Combatintman your link looks good.
  5. There are games out there - look at the "Panzer general" series of role based games - they are roughly £5 and are really good time killers!
  6. Hearts of Iron is quite a good one, but very indepth.

But any of the Combat mission ones that combatintman mentioned are well worth a look.
  7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

For strategic/tactical warfare, you cannot beat the total war series. Way out of your time period, but it is the only game i have seen where you can look at the ground and pick the best defensive position, and use dead ground etc.
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

East Front - Gary Grigsby - Divisional/Brigade level game of Barbarossa - very good.
  9. Are those UFO games from the same series as the original UFO: Enemy Unknown and the following X-COM games?
  10. If you liked that - there are a few more here - plus demos

I can only vouch for ATF, BCT Commander and The Falklands War. The engine is pretty much the same and is similar to JANUS. If you try the demos for the Falklands War and the Star & Crescent on the website at least you'll know what you're letting yourself in for. Going back to the Battlefront stuff - the Combat Mission series is excellent although it is best suited to BG-level and below you can in theory have as much as you want on the map - it just takes an age to move it all around.
  11. Thanks again, first days of holidays accounted for then.
    Plus a barrel of homebrew should be ready.
    Now what do I do about the missus?
  12. Sh@g her?
  13. I would recommend Dawn of War, its a totally fictional game set in the year 40,000 (as it is Warhammer) and its a real-time strategy game. It works on units instead of individuals which you wanted
  14. try Europa Universalis 3 or Hearts of Iron 2