Looking for a free screen recording program

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Tartan_Terrier, Aug 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi troops,
    I'm looking for a program that can be used to record on screen gameplay, ideally one where it's possible to record commentary as well (my son wants to make some gaming videos he can upload to Youtube). Anyone tried any that they can recommend? Freeware preferred, but not 100% essential if there aren't any good free ones available.

2. Have to agree with buggrit. I have used Fraps in the past, the only limitation for the free version is the length of time you can record in one go, which is only a few minutes.
  3. Thanks guys! What is the limit on the free version then? 5 minutes? Less?

4. Just looking into it, it seems free fraps is only 30 secs record time and has a watermark, which frankly is pish! So, you may want to try Xfire - Gaming Simplified Apparently does the same as fraps, but totally free.

Edited to add: Xfire even has a video on its site showing how to set everything up to record game vids :)
  5. Only 30 seconds, thought it was longer than that! Admittedly I haven't used it in quite a while now.
  6. Hypercam has a free version with no time limits. It does have a watermark in the corner though. Easy to edit video with something like WMM.
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

camstudio is free and as long as you want with several format choices, you just select the amount of screen you want to record and leave it running.
  8. Torrent of fraps illegal download and sorted.