Looking for a cheap do everything rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Tartan_Terrier, Feb 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As suggested by the title I'm looking for a cheap rifle that would be suitable for deer and possibly elk, as well as being reasonably cheap to feed for range work (ideally in .308, 6.5x55, or .30-06).

I've seen a couple of interesting rifles so far, namely the Stevens 200, and the Howa 1500. Has anyone here had any experience with these?

Do you have any other suggestions for cheap rifles (and scopes)? Or would I be better trawling the classifieds looking for a second hand bargain?

Cheers
    T_T

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheap means a quality rifle second hand, cheap ammo get a 6.5 for where you are, Cheap glass? Stay away f4rom it, quality glass outlasts nasty stuff a million to one and you wwill have the low light edge with good glass. Shop around you may find a good used scope or even a sale on. I have an £800 scope on a £75 stalking rifle and its a great combination! Also remember that this years models are usually half price when next years glass is promoted!

3. Cheers Ugly, I'd heard that it was best to save on the rifle and use the cash on a decent scope before.

Apart from the obvious Chinese rubbish is there anything else scopewise I should avoid? Any recommendations for under 500 quid?

Here's a review on the Stevens that I found: http://www.gunblast.com/Stevens-200.htm

Is the Leopold scope he recommends any good?

Cheers
    T_T

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I would echo Ugly on the glass front - spend your money on that.

Howas are getting a good reputation for value-for-money and reliability.

Have a good look at CZ rifles - there's a lot of bang for your buck with those.

Tikka also do a good range, and you might be lucky enough to find an M597 going cheap secondhand, either that or the T3.

The most popular large calibre mid-range rifles on sale are the Tikkas (T3), Howas (1500) and the CZs. All will give you a reliable, cheap, accurate rifle.

If it's scopes you are looking for, think about Schmidt & Bender Hungarian scopes, Swarovski, Zeiss, Nikon or at the outside, a Leupold (the worst of the bunch).

5. Thanks for that Biped. I'll have to take a drive up and have a look next week. My local dealer has got Howa combo's on sale at present for about 500, but that's with either Nikko, NS Platinum, or Bushnell scopes.

He's usually got a good second hand selection too though.

Cheers
    T_T

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I find that Leupolds are adequate but S&B are excellent and well worth putting on a good rifle. To be honest most rifles sell second hand quite cheaply as they are sold to create spaces on licenses rather than for profit so it is also a personal choice of one person in his rifle and that may not actually suit you. I find it pays to get calibres that cheap fmjs can be sourced in the same calibre so you can get brass cheaply. All things considered I suppose that good glass on an adequate rifle is the best combination. Over here you would struggle to get a new rifle and scope of decent make for £500, adequate but not as good as spending a couple of hundred more in glass would do!
    Oddly enough older Pecars can still be found and cheaply but when I was in Canada they would consider Bushnell good and keep the shop open if you wanted to buy Leupold!

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's because they don't have any standards - we in Europe know better. :wink:

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Any news on my .243?

9. S&B are unfortunately out of my league, all the ones I've seen cost over 1000 quid, and there's no way my budget can support that at the moment.

Take a look here: http://www.guloggratis.dk/sport/jagt-fiskeri/jagtriffel and tell me what you think of the prices of second hand rifles. Do they match the UK prices?

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Looking at the site now but surely a Hungarian S&B 6x42 will do?
    What currency are those? It looks awful if Euros!

11. The Hungarian-assembled S&Bs are excellent, I've got 2 in 8x56 (one on a Steyr 6.5x55, one on a Steyr .308); I've also got a German-made one in 6x42, and there's no appreciable difference between them. You can get a Hungarian one for about £500 new, and you'll never need another scope.

On the topic of rifles, yes you can get a new Tikka for about £450, but remember they make Tikka by starting with a Sako and seeing how many corners they can cut to make it cheaper. Given that you'll be keeping a rifle for 20 years or more, an extra few hundred now to get better quality will be a minimal amount more per year of use.

If you do go with Tikka, try to find one that's about eight or more years older, the build quality was much higher and they're pretty much the same as a Sako. Cycle the bolts of a new Tikka and a new Sako or Steyr and you'll see what I mean about build quality.

12. No, we're still on Kroner here. there's about 8.35 of them to the pound at present.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not an easy sum that!

14. You're right there, it was much easier when it was 10 to the pound a couple of months ago.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Pretend its ten to the pound and the second hand sight and rifle combos ddont look too bad, have a look at Guntrader to compare, the problem is second hand condition, Guntrader does new as well!