Looking for a career as a Health and Safety Advisor

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by i_love_kermit, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I ve just gone on termination leave and looking to be employed as a H&S advisor, I completed my NEBOSH general cert in Feb, just waiting for my results but feel confident.

Anyone got any hints or tips? any would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Yes, whatever you do, don't do Health and Safety!
  3. why, what's wrong with??
  4. Oh My! You want a sensible answer. OK here goes and I will keep this balanced so here goes.

Actually H&S is a very good thing and very important. The only problem is that a great many of the so called 'practitioners' don't use it properly and are the cause of half of the problems in the world.

Secondly it is one of the unwanted disciplines in most organisations so you may find yourself beating your head on the wall along with Security, Data Protection, Compliance and all those other unsexy parts of the business.

Thirdly, it just doesn't pay that well and you may find yourself picking up other responsibilities such as tthe dreaded 'facilities'.

So if you are going to do it find a job where it counts, that is somewhere where there is a high risk of incident, power generation and Engineering spring to mind. If you do you are more likely to receive a decent wage and the respect you deserve. In an office plock you will be doing desk seating assessments for the rest of your life.

One to consider, SW trains pay their drivers £40K for a 37 hour week, think about it.
  5. Much of what Western says may be the case in the UK, and it's a fact that H&S is frequently only a half or quarter of the responsibilities of anyone at middle-management level, as they do like to lump all of the advisory roles into one (+environment, security, quality), thereby freeing a couple of salaries'-worth of operating costs to engineers or accountants. However, in some industries (oil/LNG, mining, heavy engineering), outside of the EU, the pay can be very good indeed. The catch can be that many look for an engineering qualification first, but not all, by any means. Look at the vacancies for those jobs in the right places and you'll see.
  6. The Health and Safety profession seems to be full of pedantic w@nkers......with the exception of the oil industry (which I'm in) :D Chances are you'll feel like chinning some of your colleagues on a daily basis I'd imagine. I'm neither poorly paid or unwanted and I'm one of the guys that runs the platform.....so ignore previous comments which were.....shoit.

Check out the IOSH or health and safety for beginners Forums and you'll see what I mean. :D They post jobs there too. Don't accept anything less than 35kpa.

www.iosh.something.uk and www.hsfb.co.uk
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

To be honest you are battling against management re improving the companies H&S performance and also the staff who will see you as a busybody who stops all work. The best thing to do in that case is to act before problems occur, dont get in the position where you get dicked for writing all the method statements (an engineering function) but get involved with the workforce and try and help them by making working practices less repetitive and stressful. Support your staff and the management will support you!
  8. If you tried using English the rest of us might understand that.
  9. I've tried to avoid getting the H&S remit in much of my time since leaving the Army, but as I'm qualified and it frequently gets lumped in with 'Security', tend to get dicked for it; a good thing therefore that I have basic negotiating skills and usually get a penny or two on top of my normal salary for taking the responsibility - I make sure there's a highly-qualified professional officer to do the legwork, though!
    He's the bloke who gets the leper's bell in a lot of organisations, but in the industries where there are large and heavy chunks of metal swinging around the land- or seascape, he carries a lot of authority, which is why he's paid a sensible sum. Even then, he can be a pain in the arrse (and particularly in the Australian industries), but without his attentions, this sort of thing can happen just too often:

Attached Files:

• kpc3.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
  10. You can have my NEBOSH Gen Cert as I do not want it. Its got all the distinction ticks but no use whatsoever to me. A £ should see it.