Looking at Joining the Paras

Hi all,

Ive been looking at joining the paras since I've been at uni for the past 3 years. I gradute in May and want to sign up. Im seeing my carrers office this week (for the first time!) how long am I looking at before i get accepted? fitness wise im running 1.5 miles in 9:00, I've run the marathon 2 twice and hit the weights three times a week.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
SouthLondon Chap, So many threads on here about joining the para/guards/raf regt/and every other unit in this mans army . It,s not about how fit you are, it,s about your determination and spirit . Unless you smoke 60 a day and 24 pints of lager every night, you should be fine the Army Machine will get you fit so get down to the ACIO .

PS you can do the drinking and smoking when you get to Bn.

cheers

SouthLondonChamp said:
Hi all,

Ive been looking at joining the paras since I've been at uni for the past 3 years. I gradute in May and want to sign up. Im seeing my carrers office
Carrers Office? Gradute? And been at Uni for 3 years? You'll obviously fit right in :twisted:

SouthLondonChamp said:
and hit the weights three times a week.
Definitely will fit in, the rest of us lift the weights, use your head did you?

The main question you need to ask yourself is will you be satisfied once you are serving in a Para battalion?

Let's assume you satisfy the ACIO, and pass through Catterick/Sandhurst then PCOY (by no means easy) will you be happy spending a few years in a parachute battalion?
I say this objectively - not abusively - the Paras are simply ultra fit light infantry with attitude. If you join them expect the usual garrison bull, some hard exercises and a few jumps. There will also probably be a tour in Afghanistan at some point.

That might be exactly what you are looking for, if so good luck. Personally I would cast my net a bit wider; the army has a lot more to offer. You can sign up for a lot more interesting trades and still go airborne and get campaign medals.