Looking at Joining the Paras

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by SouthLondonChamp, Mar 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Ive been looking at joining the paras since I've been at uni for the past 3 years. I gradute in May and want to sign up. Im seeing my carrers office this week (for the first time!) how long am I looking at before i get accepted? fitness wise im running 1.5 miles in 9:00, I've run the marathon 2 twice and hit the weights three times a week.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
  2. I'm sure it means something when I roll my eyes at yet another "I wanna go into the Paras" thread and feel the need to suggest you use the Search feature.

Of course you may want to check out the Regular Officer Recruiting board as well, considering you're going to be a graduate?

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

SouthLondon Chap, So many threads on here about joining the para/guards/raf regt/and every other unit in this mans army . It,s not about how fit you are, it,s about your determination and spirit . Unless you smoke 60 a day and 24 pints of lager every night, you should be fine the Army Machine will get you fit so get down to the ACIO .

PS you can do the drinking and smoking when you get to Bn.

4. Carrers Office? Gradute? And been at Uni for 3 years? You'll obviously fit right in :twisted:

Definitely will fit in, the rest of us lift the weights, use your head did you?
  5. Yes I did use my head thanks pal. Thats whats helped me through my life so far....and with regards to the typeo's...been a long day at work.
  6. The main question you need to ask yourself is will you be satisfied once you are serving in a Para battalion?

Let's assume you satisfy the ACIO, and pass through Catterick/Sandhurst then PCOY (by no means easy) will you be happy spending a few years in a parachute battalion?
    I say this objectively - not abusively - the Paras are simply ultra fit light infantry with attitude. If you join them expect the usual garrison bull, some hard exercises and a few jumps. There will also probably be a tour in Afghanistan at some point.

That might be exactly what you are looking for, if so good luck. Personally I would cast my net a bit wider; the army has a lot more to offer. You can sign up for a lot more interesting trades and still go airborne and get campaign medals.
  7. Go on the insight course, its free and afterwards you will know exactly how fit you are and if you really want to join para reg or not.
  8. Do you enjoy drinking beer? do you enjoy fighting? if so then fill your boots mate ! :lol:
  9. If you are fit and are a racing snake who also drinks like a fish you will go far
  10. Beer talking Must report for RPs sorry lads :lol: