Looking at joining 4 YORKS

Hi all.

First post just looking for a little information, I've read through a lot of posts and had a lot of questions answered by past posters.

I joined the regulars in the Coldstream Guards at 21 (Now 30) and completed Phase 1 training for the blue red blue patch, though left as got my better half pregnant and my priorities changed over night. now 9 years later, 2 sprogs and finally manned up and asked her to marry me I'm looking for that in my life that I always wanted but never quite achieved.

I'm a self-employed construction worker now, own my house and everything is going fine, I'm based in Doncaster and would love to go for 4 Yorks though they're based in Sheffield, will they recruit from Doncaster or is it based on a radius around SOMME barracks where they're stationed ?

Other than that there is Y Company Rifles in Doncaster and RLC down the road too, though personally would feel more self pride with the Yorkshire cap badge going forward and the potential HGV license from the RLC doesn't appeal to me much as HGV driving would be a pay cut from what I get currently.

I guess to sum up my questions:

- Is being a reservist in a regiment based on mileage from a local barracks or can I travel ?
- If it comes to it and I had to choose between The Rifles and RLC, I'd probably apply to RLC, but what would be the chance of getting into a LGV /HGV and them not putting me towards being a chef etc

Rather than relate how it was 45 years ago, I'll just ask where you obtained the Sheffield address (which I believe to be that of the UOTC). The Army website gives it as:

Burma Company Detachment
4th Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment
Manor Top Army Reserve Centre
Hurlfield Road
Sheffield
S12 2AN
01226 200116 or 07971 890380

Note that this is a detachment, the main company seems to be in Barnsley.

You're probably OK travelling up to 30 miles, thereafter GOC's approval will be needed - at least, that's how it used to be. Phone the unit to check.

Rather than relate how it was 45 years ago, I'll just ask where you obtained the Sheffield address (which I believe to be that of the UOTC). The Army website gives it as:

Burma Company Detachment
4th Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment
Manor Top Army Reserve Centre
Hurlfield Road
Sheffield
S12 2AN
01226 200116 or 07971 890380

Note that this is a detachment, the main company seems to be in Barnsley.

You're probably OK travelling up to 30 miles, thereafter GOC's approval will be needed - at least, that's how it used to be. Phone the unit to check.
Evening!

I got the information from the downloadable PDF file on the Yorkshire Regiment 4th battalion army website page one of the addresses must be outdated, I'm guessing the PDF I viewed may be. though I've just noticed it does say detachment with the company in Barnsley which puts it roughly 24 miles from my house.

I'll phone tomorrow and see what I can do.

Latest Threads