Look what been snuck in under the radar, MOT due?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by emptyeye, Oct 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The number’s up on illegal registration plates! New rules introduced at the beginning of the month aim to crack down on dodgy styles and fonts. And unless your car now carries special identifying marks, it won’t pass the annual MoT test.

Plates fitted to models registered after 1 September 2001 that aren’t embossed with the name and postcode of the supplier and BS AU145d British Standard symbol will result in an automatic failure. The move is des­igned to make it easy for testers to spot non-road-legal ‘show plates’, as these don’t have a BS symbol.

Vehicles made before 1 September 2001 don’t need the codes, although they may still fail if the examiner believes the reg uses letters and numbers with an incorrect size, font and spacing. And while plates which show an international marking to the left – such as GB or the Welsh Dragon – are fine, those with football team crests or cartoon characters will also fail.

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) has drawn up these regulations to cut vehicle crime and make it easier for testers to identify a problem plate. A spokesman told us: “For accurate eyewitness accounts and to ensure enforcement cameras work, it is necessary that the registration conforms to the required standard.”

The table shows what is and isn’t acceptable in the guidelines – a version of which is on the www.vosa.gov.uk website.

This latest development comes hot on the heels of new fraud legislation. The police can now prosecute drivers who deliberately alter their registration number in order to evade devices such as speed cameras. If found guilty, these motorists could face fines running into thousands of pounds and even a spell in prison.

A spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers was keen to stress that these powers will not be directed at those who change plates for style reasons, although such drivers could be penalised under less harsh construction and use regulations.

2. Can I take it that you disapprove of the legislation? If so, why? It seems reasonable to me.

3. The continuous tinkering is used to keep half a million civil servants busy, now you know what they all do LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Of course, if you bought your car in Scotland where this legislation doesn't apply, it's hard to see how you could be prosecuted.

5. What he said.

Can't see it making much of a difference really, people with reflective plates will just swap them for the MOT and back again afterwards.

Unless the Plod are actually going to stop cars because they are 'unfit'?

6. I see no problem with this. Whats your drama with it???

7. I don't see a problem with it - it's only one attempt to enforce a law that's been with us for donkeys. It's been around, perhaps under a different guise, since well before the 60's.

But I have a hatred of disinformation. If it's really to stop people evading speed camera detection, then why haven't the regulations pertaining to motor bikes been returned to what they once were, i.e. index letters the same size as a car's? I can't think of any reason why they're smaller, nor why there isn't a number plate on the front (albeit NOT the fore and aft bacon slicer version).

In fact, I'd go one better and introduce MOT discs on the number plates as a means to identify and get rid of the test-dodgers.

8. Can't see a drama with it except this big problem. So big I will write it clearly so that the government may read it and it may compute.

THE TAWTS WHO USE PROPER ILLEGAL PLATES (IE DUPLICATES) DO SO TO EVADE TAX COSTS, SPEED CAMERAS, INSURANCE AND, WAIT FOR IT, ARE UNLIKELY TO TAKE THEIR CAR TO BE MOT'D.

THERE FORE THIS MEASURE IS JUST AN ADDED PAIN IN THE ARRSE AND POSSIBLY AN ADDED COST TO THE LEGAL MOTORIST, WHILST ACHIEVING THE SQUARE ROOT OF FCUK ALL AGAINST THE SCOURGE OF THE STREETS

It is yet another, activity hides inaction/impotence/incompetance routine.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Just a thought , but if your plates are cloned who will the police/DOT nail, you the legal owner who they can trace, or the chav who nicked them?
    Remember;those who have nothing to hide have nothing to fear.

10. To be successful, the plates would have to come off the same model of car as they're to be used on.

That's where I'm safe. No chav would be seen dead in the model and age of car that I own. 8)

11. Far more likely to nail you for driving through a red light, despite the fact you were in Spain, with the tickets, holiday phots, 100 eye witnesses and a bad case of sun burn to back up your claim against the one solitary picture of "your" car on a camera.

Well done VOSA (claps, sarcastically slowly) another completely pointless bit of legislation. How about a bit of action next time instead.

12. On the subject of evading,avoiding the law ..... has any one ever seen a cyclist obeying the law of the road ????Lets have them paying road tax ,insurance , and being subject to a driving test , and displaying number plates

13. Fair point. I am a cyclist. There is a reason we sometimes break the law. That is because a fair few car drivers seem to be going out of their way to knock us off our bikes.

It is bloody scary riding a bike on the road in an area with high car crime and eejits in 1 or 2 tons of metal driving at ridiculous speed without giving a toss about other road users.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mothers with prams are the worst - especially when they think they have priority when they cross a zebra crossing. They obviously haven't read the Highway Code!

• Like Like x 1
  15. So, you go through red lights and don't stop at zebra/pelicon crossings because you don't want to be hit by a car? :roll: