Look out for that moose mate!

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by batfink, Aug 12, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/3557032.stm

Train nose cone to deflect moose

A Somerset engineering firm has developed a moose-proof device to help a Swedish train company keep its trains running to time.
    W and J Tods of Crewkerne designed the detachable nose-cone protector to fit on to the front of trains.

It acts as an impact-absorber, repelling the moose without injuring them while keeping passengers safe.

Every year engines on the Arlanda Express Airport rail link in Stockholm go out of service after hitting moose.

Tom Hitchings, Director of Tods Mass Transit Business, said: "In the event of one of these animals - which can weigh up to 1.5 tonnes - being hit at speeds of 125 mph, the impact is absorbed and deflected and a major catastrophe is avoided."

A contract for 20 of the nose cones has been secured.

I might be sounding a bit thick but must be one hell of a deflector to enable a moose to survive uninjured after being hit at 125 mph 8O

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This is all very well, but when will they invent a device that can deflect a moose after lots of beer?

3. I've been working on one for years but it keeps failing the field trials as I get too pisshed to work it properly :twisted:

4. How do you get the moose to drink loads of beer 8O

5. Actually it's a serious problem. Especially for cars. You see they have long legs so when a car hits 'em their legs and body shape are just right so that the creature goes right through the windscreen. Being big and heavy you can imagine the result.

Lot's of road deaths in scandinavia because of 'em.

Still, they taste good :twisted:

Reindeer too BTW....but don't tell yer rug rats we eat 'em up here. They'll think we're scoffing rudolph :twisted: :lol:

6. I said that last christmas "Vi spise Rudolph" the two nieces 1.5 & 3 back then. Burst into tears straight away, and I was fecked of to the dog house.

I still think its funny. :lol:

Canada has a problem with mooses charging at trains during mating season.

7. When I used to live on the "rock" or Newfoundland as it is known in the atlas, there were almost more Moose deaths in traffic, than other accidents! 2-3 a week!

Flying around there we'd spot up to 10 moose in an hour, just around the airport. Really scary! :lol:

8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Good skills. Women sometimes have no sense of humour...

9. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

Didn't know Mooses (or is it Mices) could fly. :lol: Any pics of said phenomenon?

10. Ahhh, Knew I shoulda phrased that better... 8O

'Taint easy not being an english native speaker. Actually comes from the land Skjold seems to visit a lot...

But no, the moose kill PEOPLE on the road, and when spotted from the air, unfortunately (or fortunately) the moose will stay on the ground.

Otherwise, Newfoundland was a great place, bet the lot of you have been in the terminal at Gander, waiting while some crabs fixed their JIT? :wink:

11. Jeg bor i Norge. Jeg flytte her Novembre på siden. Ny Norsk begynner, neste uke. Torsdag.

12. Where?

I was stationed in Haakonsvern for 3 years...
    And come from the North (Bodoe), but my home is in Raufoss (go figure).

Currently live in London, Ontario!
    Cheers

Til lykke med nytt barn paa vei! :D

13. Story in the Wall Street Journal some years ago.

Journalist, apparently a life-long city dweller, out in the boondocks, driving a small car. Bull moose blocking the road.

This journalist honked his horn.

Bull moose apparently figured he was being challenged, dropped his head, demolished the car. I guess there's a lesson in that.

They are much larger than deer. Big as horses, actually.

14. As long as you are picking up the tab, it's no problem at all.

15. Small world. Bergen.

3 years, so you joined up rather than, called up?