Longmoor Camp

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by RoyalEngineers, Dec 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all. Just wondering if anyone has been to Longmoor training camp before?

I was just wondering whether it's any good, and how the naafi is etc. Thanks :)

2. Camp is old and decrepit.

Never seen the NAAFI open. Its just a crappy old camp on the edge of a decent but small training area.

Nothing more to say on it.

3. The NAFFI is now perminently closed (or at least until they have a change of heart).

Place is overrun with Cadets in school hols or at weekends

Otherwise BoS has got it about right.

4. You painted a far nicer picture of Longmoor than I could of :D

Theres plenty of trees and tabbing areas available.

5. Good for running around the range road. If cadets come when you are there, you will be vacated to tents as we were when I was an ATR instructor. Simply put...it's arrse!

6. I think young mister RE is a cassette so he'll be the one turfing you out into the tents! NAAFI's a bit pants (If it's open!). It's called The Bullet I think. Camp has a weird internal fence around a lot of the accom. Rumour is that the camp was set up as a POW camp during GW1 for all the thousands of Iraqis that were expected.

Oh, if there are cadets of camp then get to scoff PDQ. There can be a line of the feckers about 100 meters long in about 10 minutes flat! And bring your own mug and scoff rods to the cook house. And finally, the food is dog shite! Them Eggs have been frying for longer than we've both been alive!

T C

7. Yeah, I could be one of them turfing you out i'm afraid :oops:

I always think fellow cadets and all that are frigging daft and such, but hey.. it passes the time I guess.

8. and if you are lucky there will be a shower block you can use, if not you'll have to go begging to the cadet instructors to use one of theirs.

9. Training area great, camp bogging, frankly you'd be better off bashering up on the training area with 24hr rat packs

10. It's all hills and soft sand. Makes running fun.

11. Im one of those "little feckers" im afraid! , well just got out of, I just transferred from Air Cadets to Army Cadets, and when we did this years annual longmoor camp in the Air cadets, a group of 20 regulars (all officers with maroon berets, but not para cap badges) and a few with Commando berets had to go to the back of our queue!! and once we were done, there was hardly any "dog shite" left to eat for them!

Apologies if anyone here was any of those officers!!

12. May I interject here and say longmoor s an excellent facility, depending on the nature of exercise you are using it for.

It has an excellent OBUA complex that unlike the common breeze block sanitised complexes you find dotted about the place, this is an ex pads estate, so therefore you are training in realistic buildings.

There is as an SF base which can be used either on its own or in conjunction with the OBUA complex, which makes for good OPTAG type training.

Also o the camp is a 25m barrack range and a DCCT range, external to the camp are three LFTT ranges, one of which is ETR. There is also a CBRN chamber, which is in an underground bunker (great for freaking troops out, it is quite intimidating). There is an armoury on camp and a magazine for ammo out on the area.

The training area, although quite small, is good enough for dismounted Platoon size exercises, and great for tabbing, running (watch out for dog walkers though).

On a downside, the accommodation is not brilliant, but at the end of a hard day all you need is a bed to sleep in. There is separate accom for SNCO's and Officers although there are no actual Mess facilities. The NAAFI (Longmoor Bullet) is open if your unit has the foresight to book it in advance, and actually it is not a bad little place.

All in all, like I say, depending on the nature of your training, it is an excellent facility. The RMP CPU are permanently based there and it meets their training needs adequately.

Was that too much info for a cadet to digest?

S_R

13. Used twice a year for Ex Sea Stoat and what fun that is, especially when operating in the tunnels.

14. Longmoor is for winners, great little camp which hosts all manner of facilities. If you know what you want to achieve from your exercise, conduct a thorough recce before hand and liaise with the camp staff (no they are not all poofs, before someone makes a wise crack), explain your objectives and aim, then book the facilities you need to meet your requirements, Longmoor should fulfil your needs.

If you book at the last minute, don't bother your arrse with a recce, and have a shabby MEL on a fag packet (or you are a cadet unit or TA outfit), then you will not make the best of what the camp has to offer!

T_M

15. No I know what it all means, but can these little irresponsible in the majority, immature, and un-knowledgable bigging-themselves-up gobsh!tes understand/ use most of the facilities? Probably not ;)

Cheers for the info anyway, however, I could well be on my way into the Army @ this point if all goes well..