Longmoor Camp...anyone ever been there?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Randy_McNob, Dec 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sand, muddy sand, steep hills, forests what a delightful place Longmoor Camp was.

Anyone been there recently?

Looked in a road atlas the other day and it looks like there is a big f*ck off dual carriageway going past it, i'm certain there never used to be one in the 1990's?

anyone got any links to photos of the camp itself?

2. Try this aerial view LINKY

My son goes there with the ACF.

3. That'll be the A3, and it's always been there.

4. When in ccf we used to use it a lot, that was only a couple of years, and yes, a big FO road goes past it; bit of a nightmare crossing at night with cadets.

5. I’ve spent many a weekend there.
    The camp is a dump.

6. Good link, thanks.

How long has the A3 dual been there???

I'm sure it wasn't there in the 1990's, I remember a much small road.

We used to stay in a 'house' the other side of the road and go into the training area in the mornings.

Terrible place!

7. The A3 was completed in 1979, so it's always been there.

8. Hardly always

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/9/longmoor.htm

9. Strange.

I just don't remember it being a 'main' road, unless I was on a different part of the training area.

Thanks anyway.

10. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Training area for "The Flying Gunners"....I know cos my daughter's down there at the mo on team trials :D :D

11. It's been there for as long as I can remember, therefore that's "always" in my book :)

12. ... did a course there with the (RCT) Railway squadron - the quarters there were OK at the time (so was the military railway ;) )

13. Theres been some roadworks recently and it has changed slightly.

14. i believe it was once the regimental depot of the RASC, or at least that's what a very old Lt Col LE toldme when i was a very young 2Lt?