Longmoor Camp...anyone ever been there?

Sand, muddy sand, steep hills, forests what a delightful place Longmoor Camp was.

Anyone been there recently?

Looked in a road atlas the other day and it looks like there is a big f*ck off dual carriageway going past it, i'm certain there never used to be one in the 1990's?

anyone got any links to photos of the camp itself?

Try this aerial view LINKY

My son goes there with the ACF.

Randy_McNob said:
Sand, muddy sand, steep hills, forests what a delightful place Longmoor Camp was.

Looked in a road atlas the other day and it looks like there is a big f*ck off dual carriageway going past it, i'm certain there never used to be one in the 1990's?

That'll be the A3, and it's always been there.

A3

Randy_McNob said:

When in ccf we used to use it a lot, that was only a couple of years, and yes, a big FO road goes past it; bit of a nightmare crossing at night with cadets.

Gas Gas Gas said:
Try this aerial view LINKY

My son goes there with the ACF.
Good link, thanks.

How long has the A3 dual been there???

I'm sure it wasn't there in the 1990's, I remember a much small road.

We used to stay in a 'house' the other side of the road and go into the training area in the mornings.

Terrible place!

smudge67 said:
Randy_McNob said:

Hardly always

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/9/longmoor.htm

QRK2 said:
smudge67 said:
Randy_McNob said:

Hardly always

It's been there for as long as I can remember, therefore that's "always" in my book :)

Theres been some roadworks recently and it has changed slightly.

i believe it was once the regimental depot of the RASC, or at least that's what a very old Lt Col LE toldme when i was a very young 2Lt?

rockape34 said:
... did a course there with the (RCT) Railway squadron - the quarters there were OK at the time (so was the military railway ;) )
As a child living in Liss Forest I remember the line closing down. :cry:

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
Longmoor is a toilet, with the only redeeming feature being its proximity to a major arterial road that spits you out not far from Pompey!

smudge67 said:
QRK2 said:
smudge67 said:
Randy_McNob said:

Hardly always

It's been there for as long as I can remember, therefore that's "always" in my book :)
It was a big FO road in 97/98 I can guarantee that as we ran a Leadership Cadre there and as DS would drive up that several times a day

I did a two week camp there :( You definitely need a good sleeping bag and a fleece - for inside the accomodation!! There was no heating.

It's a training camp. Facilities are acceptible if you're billeted in the camp. Excellent training area, especially if you're doing counter insurgency training (although it does need a refurb.).

Also used by London District T.A. for military Sklls competition.