Longest tank kill

I ask as I always believed it was Scots DG and there was even a post here from the gunner explaining how it took place
I ask as on a Challenger group it is claimed by 17/21st and QRIH. Net search mentions no Regt so who was it and how can post to prove it

A pair of RAF GR4s killed over 22 Libyan tanks during ELLAMY using Brimstones fired from over 25 miles away.

Just saying! ;)

Regards,
MM

Dwarf

LE
A pair of RAF GR4s killed over 22 Libyan tanks during ELLAMY using Brimstones fired from over 25 miles away.

Just saying! ;)

Regards,
MM
Yes, well done Crabs. But what were they actually aiming at?

Yes, well done Crabs. But what were they actually aiming at?
Targets beyond the reach of you Pongoes I guess! ;)

Regards,
MM

That really is rather impressive.

Same mission?
Yep; the Libyan Regime had deployed loads of armour well south in the interior of the country where they didn't think Coalition ISR would find them. The two GR4s used 'legacy' Brimstone (ie the original MMW radar guided version) and fired them into the target area through poor weather. The missiles arrived, started their autonomous search and wiped up the formation; survivors were mopped up within a few hours once the weather had improved.

One jet ripple fired 12!

Regards,
MM

The curvature of the earth can be a bitch for direct fire weapons if you're actually on the ground. :)

This is too easy!

However, I'll pass on your thoughts to RN SSN TLAM crews and Army ATCMs chaps around the world. ;)

Regards,
MM

Yep; the Libyan Regime had deployed loads of armour well south in the interior of the country where they didn't think Coalition ISR would find them. The two GR4s used 'legacy' Brimstone (ie the original MMW radar guided version) and fired them into the target area through poor weather. The missiles arrived, started their autonomous search and wiped up the formation; survivors were mopped up within a few hours once the weather had improved.

One jet ripple fired 12!

Regards,
MM
Bloody hell...

One jet ripple fired 12!

Regards,
MM
Tell me there's a video of it, that sounds really impressive.

Just saying! ;)

Regards,
MM
The OP is referring to tank kills by the military.

Bloody hell...
In fairness, the scenario was exactly what the missile was designed to do in Central Europe: fly into enemy tank formations from beyond the range of their organic AD where collateral damage concerns were absent.

However, ELLAMY (not to mention TELIC and HERRICK before) up until that point had seen only the Dual Mode Seeker Brimstone (DMSB) used due to the need to avoid risk of collateral damage.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
In fairness, the scenario was exactly what the missile was designed to do in Central Europe: fly into enemy tank formations from beyond the range of their organic AD where collateral damage concerns were absent.

However, ELLAMY (not to mention TELIC and HERRICK before) up until that point had seen only the Dual Mode Seeker Brimstone (DMSB) used due to the need to avoid risk of collateral damage.

Regards,
MM
4 ALARM! Those were the days.

Latest Threads