Longest Serving?

Boxy

GCM
And I thought I was long in the tooth...40 years and still going, enjoying it most of the time...most

51 years service must take some beating!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
That's not all adult service, as a craft apprentice he could have been as young as 15, more likely 16. That still means that he retired at 66. The RAF must be very desperate.

@Ninja_Stoker you’re still technically in aren’t you?

In all seriousness you must be pretty close to being the longest serving man in the RN, not including Prince Phillip.
Still serving (FTRS) in a regular service post with 2 years left, but only joined Feb 81 so just 39 years done, a mere sprog.

Three years back there were still around 200 RN/RM personnel serving, wearing a South Atlantic medal as I understand, including 1SL at the time.

Funny as fcuk "marching" as the most junior rank in a uniformed squad of still-serving "Falklands 35" veterans. We had to stop every few dozen yards to let everyone catch-up. :D

You know you're getting on a bit when you look at Chelsea Pensioners and think "Hmmn, they don't look THAT old'

Still serving (FTRS) in a regular service post with 2 years left, but only joined Feb 81 so just 39 years done, a mere sprog.

Three years back there were still around 200 RN/RM personnel serving, wearing a South Atlantic medal as I understand, including 1SL at the time.

Funny as fcuk "marching" as the most junior rank in a uniformed squad of still-serving "Falklands 35" veterans. We had to stop every few dozen yards to let everyone catch-up. :D

You know you're getting on a bit when you look at Chelsea Pensioners and think "Hmmn, they don't look THAT old'
Also still serving FTRS now. Joined at 17 in ‘74, continuing as long as I’m needed.

Did You know any WW2 veterans still serving when You joined?
My O.C. in 90 had served in Korea. Bit of a hero IMHO as he made it to WO1 RSM . Way back when his then CO ordered him to order the WOs and Sgts mess to pay into an illegal “ fund” I think it was for wives and such . He stood up and said “No”.

Got reduced in rank ?

Made it back and got a commission.

Remember him well as , like a kind grandfather who wore a greatcoat in winter.

@AULD_SWEAT Not "serving", exactly, but the legendary Charlie Edgar, civilian tutor at Comms & Sy, retired in the late 80s (I was taken back to camp by the police at his retirement do) and went ashore with a Scottish regiment on D+1 or 2, later transferring to RSIGS.

If Charlie taught you Morse, you remember Morse after you forget your Army number.

Latest Threads