Longest Serving?

A year later and I'm still here, still looking for the door.
Ah Reb- but have you been awarded the LS&GC Medal yet, or has that episode in Block 6 come back to haunt you-you naughty boy;)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
From the horse's mouth.

In Pensioners are Civilians in the best care home in the world, but still just retired civilians. We are all ex army and there is a military ethos in this home. There is no discipline military or otherwise, we are not prisoners, We are retired Ladies and Gentlemen.

Nice to see the comments above from Chris & John, the room inspections and parades that we do are not anything like what we used to do in the army, if they were I`d be on jankers every week.

I joined '72 and left 2012 (2426****) but admittedly spent the last 7 with the Auggies as the uniform went with my eye. Had I stayed in for another month, one could have signed on till one is 65, fitness allowing. Sad that I did not get the silver jubilee as I would have had the set.

Page 7 of this journal ( Oh look, a number of ARRSErs...) shows a picture of Paul Savides. At the time he'd completed 50 years Services, (RB, Green Jackets, RGJ then LONDONS)and had already made L/Cpl.

He was Army Champion SMG shot for two years and could do an uncanny imitation of Sir Cliff Richard.

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/LONDONS_RETURN_EDITION_10.pdf

A year later and I'm still here, still looking for the door.
Me too - and just signed on for a further 3 years! :smile:
We owe it to ourselves to meet up for that beer one day!

The Falklands War was 33 years ago, and the (first) Gulf War was nearly 25 years ago.

This got me thinking - is anyone from these conflicts left serving, or from perhaps even earlier ones?

I ask because I saw Alastair Bruce (Sky News correspondent) is a TA Brigadier, having served in the Scots Guards in the Falklands War. What other long serving veterans are still serving in regular, TA or NRPS roles?
I've just got out one year before my 37 year point so, clearly, NOT still in but I could have been in 'til next October. My pensionable time started in Oct 80. I was on the lash in Belize during the Falklands conflict.

In fact I got my Certificate of Service through yesterday and I'm eligible for Reserve service for another year. Just hope Mr V Putin can be patient for another year and a bit.

I've just got out one year before my 37 year point so, clearly, NOT still in but I could have been in 'til next October. My pensionable time started in Oct 80. I was on the lash in Belize during the Falklands conflict.

In fact I got my Certificate of Service through yesterday and I'm eligible for Reserve service for another year. Just hope Mr V Putin can be patient for another year and a bit.
22 years then LE?

I know of one, relatively recently departed WO2 from the Royal Signals, who was also a good friend.

Joined as a boy soldier (15 when that was allowed). 22 years. Transferred to TA then did a further 24.5 years before he retired. Pete died shortly after retirement.

Certa Cito, mucker.

I think this is all correct (all from memory of writing him up for an honour a couple of years back, I've still got his CV at home somewhere).

You squaddies are quitters.

There's one matelot who served in WW2 and who is still on the active list. Another 3 were born in the 30s and 40s and are still active.
Active? Sexually???

DITA

MIA
I know a guy who joined the RM in the 70's (74 I think), served in the Falklands, and is currently still serving in the Army on an FTRS contract.

Good guy.

You squaddies are quitters.

There's one matelot who served in WW2 and who is still on the active list. Another 3 were born in the 30s and 40s and are still active.
Is one of them married to the Boss?

On the plus side, my PFA is timed on a calendar!
Further to my last, the joke here is that to qualify for the 300 club, I'm obliged to complete 1 press up, 1 sit up and then complete my 'run' before lunch!

As a matter of interest, one of the civilian PT instructors here in Andover (ex RAF and Army service) is approaching 70, still conducts circuit training lessons and puts many of the military staff to shame. Outstanding effort!

Next month (November '16) we will bid farewell to two of our old soldiers, originally of 1 QUEEN'S and currently stagging on with 3 PWRR. They'll have given 45 years each. They joined Boy Service on the same day aged 15, joined the 1st Bn together, we're both RSMs at the same time and, just for good measure, share the same birthday!

Latest Threads