Longest Serving?

You squaddies are quitters.

There's one matelot who served in WW2 and who is still on the active list. Another 3 were born in the 30s and 40s and are still active.

Oh bugger you mean Phil the Greek!
You're right.

Admirals of the Fleet are on the active list till they die. Phil is one and so is Prince Charles. The other two are former Chiefs of the Defence staff from the days when CDS held a five star rank and their American counterparts were required to salute them.

Having seen Prince Philip on telly recently, we should have a whip round to have Gieves and Hawkes run him up a new No 1 uniform or at least re-lace his existing uniform. It appears to have seen more action than the other Admirals of the Fleet combined.

jim30

LE
I remember reading of Merchant Navy personnel who served in WW2, Falklands and Granby, which is quite an acheivement. Its sobering to think that we've still got people out there who served with WW2 vets, who in turn served with WW1 vets - we're only one generation removed really from the 19th century military.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember reading of Merchant Navy personnel who served in WW2, Falklands and Granby, which is quite an acheivement. Its sobering to think that we've still got people out there who served with WW2 vets, who in turn served with WW1 vets - we're only one generation removed really from the 19th century military.
I was at Waterloo... Gen!

I imagine there must be a fair few oldies still kicking around in the MN

Bosscat

War Hero
He is one of the PSAOs, and had also done Darwin/ Goose Green. One of the serving 4 Para WO2s was also 2 Para in the Falklands.
When I joined B coy 4 Para(v) in '87 the PSAO was the RSM of 1 PARA at Bloody Sunday,He joined in about '53 or '54 and jumped into Suez with 3 PARA, the PSI and SPSI were both Falkland Vets the SPSI was ex 2 PARA and was awarded the DCM as a Pln Sgt so that will narrow him down, also the RAPC Sgt att to us was a full screw at Warrenpoint.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Did You know any WW2 veterans still serving when You joined?
About 1980 our OC HQ Sqn retired. He got rather more than just being dragged out of camp by the officers. I am sure that on a formal parade, the RSM told us he'd crossed the beach on D-Day and may have served with the Cheshires.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
My best man I believe left Junior Bleeders in 73. Retired about 2008.

merchantman

War Hero
I joined the MN in 1971, I sailed with quite a few people who had been at sea during WW2. There were lots of the older guys at sea in the 70's who had a chestful of medals. In those days people went to sea at the age of 15 or 16, some staying at sea until they retired in their 60's. I remember sailing with a chippy in 1980 on a bulk carrier owned by a company in Darlington whinging that he had sailed with this outfit twice before, once in the 30's and once in the 50's, they were crap then and were crap now

Latest Threads