Longest Serving?

The Falklands War was 33 years ago, and the (first) Gulf War was nearly 25 years ago.

This got me thinking - is anyone from these conflicts left serving, or from perhaps even earlier ones?

I ask because I saw Alastair Bruce (Sky News correspondent) is a TA Brigadier, having served in the Scots Guards in the Falklands War. What other long serving veterans are still serving in regular, TA or NRPS roles?

I knew a Para in the careers office in Southampton that had served in the Falklands - I believe he's still serving on some sort of FTRS contract. I'm sure there are plenty of GW1 vets still serving as well - probably LEs now.

There are plenty of old Retired Majors cutting about that would have you believe they're still serving.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I met a chef in 2010 who had joined the Paras in the 60's.

I joined in '74 and ain't out yet.

Well I joined in 1977 and left last January so it might be possible even for regular OR.

I joined in 1982. Served in GW1 and am still serving. In fact i can continue to serve until 2026 if i choose.

syrup

LE
There was a Captain from I believe 4 Para on Forces T.V. a while back in uniform.
He'd been at Warrenpoint as a Tom.

Without breach PERSEC what did you join up as and what are you now? I joined up as a 17 year old and I'm 59 now.

That is a long time - what did you join as Vs. now?

The_Duke

LE
There was a Captain from I believe 4 Para on Forces T.V. a while back in uniform.
He'd been at Warrenpoint as a Tom.
He is one of the PSAOs, and had also done Darwin/ Goose Green. One of the serving 4 Para WO2s was also 2 Para in the Falklands.

I popped over to my local shopping mall for a pep talk with a Reserves Recruiting Team. I'm only 62-pushing 63 so I've got plenty of time left.

One of the 4 PARA guys attached to 2 PARA on Herrick 13 had been in the Falklands, I think he was a re-joiner at the rank of LCpl. Not sure if he is still in, if it's the same chap @The_Duke is referring to he has gone great guns to get from LCpl to WO2 in the last 4 years.

The_Duke

LE
One of the 4 PARA guys attached to 2 PARA on Herrick 13 had been in the Falklands, I think he was a re-joiner at the rank of LCpl. Not sure if he is still in, if it's the same chap @The_Duke is referring to he has gone great guns to get from LCpl to WO2 in the last 4 years.
The rejoiner LCpl had left 2 Para before the Falklands!

The other one was a WO2 at Shorabak for H13.

Latest Threads