Longback bergen

Extremely stupid and there's a high chance I haven't done as much digging as I should have done. But does the long back bergen sit above the webbing if you are roughly 6" (given that your webbing is set up to the typical height)?

Extremely stupid and there's a high chance I haven't done as much digging as I should have done. But does the long back bergen sit above the webbing if you are roughly 6" (given that your webbing is set up to the typical height)?
Borrow one and find out. It’ll depend to some extent on body length, webbing height etc.

I use one lots and no it would be shit above webbing. Yeah I left years ago blah blah but unless you are a giant and have Jonah Lomu thigh's forget it. COG would be too high with a 100 litre load and it would **** your back up.
Would look cool like if you were stuffing it with newspaper and that but when your cadet mates found out you would look a cock! :-D:-D:-D

Use a short back.
Just do it. Long back bergans are too long.

Short back Or long back

It should fit above the webbing

If you have any kind of weight it in ...it won’t

Goaty

Swinger
Do you get long and short back Virtus bergens?
Very late to the start line, but no the only available Virtus bergen(of the latest generation/variant) is a "shortback" only, partly to do with complaints that the original Virtus bergen was essentially a long back, and not many bods are tall enough to actually benefit from a long back, unless their webbing is gunslinger low(which despite the "ally" look is uncomfortable as ****)

ches

LE
Very late to the start line, but no the only available Virtus bergen(of the latest generation/variant) is a "shortback" only, partly to do with complaints that the original Virtus bergen was essentially a long back, and not many bods are tall enough to actually benefit from a long back, unless their webbing is gunslinger low(which despite the "ally" look is uncomfortable as ****)
Late to this also. I'm just under 6ft but of the shorter legged long body variety so I always had a long back & still do. I was an inf mong so lumping big weight most of the time. It was always 'comfortable' above my PLCE. A short back version would have been barking on my build.

Goaty

Swinger
Late to this also. I'm just under 6ft but of the shorter legged long body variety so I always had a long back & still do. I was an inf mong so lumping big weight most of the time. It was always 'comfortable' above my PLCE. A short back version would have been barking on my build.
I'm bang on 5'11, and I can use either happily, although I do have to hike my belt kit a little higher than normal when marching in with a shortback. The trick with shortbacks is to leave the straps a tad looser so it sits lower on your back as opposed to high up on your shoulders.

ugly

LE
When I did my SCBC I used a berghaus dart 45, not much bigger than most modern day sacs but it held the same amount as the old airborne SAS bergan and more than the gs or large pack. Everyone else had bfo bergan 120 litres etc and suffered tabbing. I carried exactly what I had to and nothing extra.
Ech is for spare kit something we practised in my old Bn.

Latest Threads