Long wait for job choice - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by STTOMO, Jul 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had my first interview today, got pre-selection wednesday and then my 2nd interview thursday (hopefully).

Anyway, my recruiter told me that another lad had just passed his selection whos going into the light dragoons and theres a wait till january. I was abit gutted when he said that as Ive already waited 4 months due to a deferred medical, so might be another 4months depending on how quick I got through and hopefully passed ADSC.

He said if I was wanting to get in quicker then maybe one of my other choices would allow me to, my other choices are Army air corp and the rifles. Im desperate to get in now as Im 20 and having left uni in october, I want to start my career in the army. What would you guys do if your other job choices got you in quicker? Should I wait?

Cheers for any advice!
  2. You will more than likely be waiting a month for an ADSC slot anyways...and most jobs appear to be full until next year! I passed 2 weeks ago and mid Feb is my start state! Whats a few extra months in the scheme of things to do the job you want?

3. Fair point mate, just when youve been working here and there since last october and being skint with no career, its total crap. I do have some intrest in the other job choices, so it wouldnt be like I was doing it for the sake of it but obviously like you said whats another few months, maybe have to grit the teeth and bare it
  4. I can't imagine your other job choices will change your start date that much. I'd wait out the extra couple of months it would take for your first choice.

But I know how you feel, I'm the same age as you and I've been mucking about with college and working since I left school and I just want to finally get in and pursue my career. It will come mate, patience!

5. Id only consider the other two options if it really did shorten my start date down by a hell of a lot. Its just frustrating having to wait even longer and potter around doing this and that not making much money and not experiencing what I want to do.

Patience is a virtue as they say, so maybe I should wait it out, will speak to my recruiter about things next time I see him.
  6. mate ive been waiting a year ,to get to selection cos of medical deferal, now ive got selection wk on thurs! i want rmp and i know the nxt intake will be november coming or 1st feb 2010, In my view i dont mind waiting a few more months cos it will be my life for 22yrs i hope, so just think about the long term, Remember the beer advert , good things happen to those who wait!!lol plus get super fit , or say feck it ive got loads of time to get fit!!
  7. If you really wanted the job, this would be a no-brainer.
    I'm stuck waiting until January and I passed ADSC a month ago. Does it bother me - yes. But I'd rather wait 6 months for the job I'll be happy doing for the rest of my career than go in in one month for a job I'm not as keen on.
  8. Ude the extra time for fitness, spending time with ya loved ones and tying up any odds n ends
  9. it is best to wait for the job you want.Think about it,4 months is not a long time in your life.After the wait it's all about the job you really want to do.
    use your time wisely get as fit as possible and reap the rewards when you start training.
  10. To be honest bud... it's a wait till january for most job choices.... unless your lucky in choosing a immediatly vacant job and get loaded on pretty sharpish after you've passed ADSC.. other than that it's a long haul for most.
    I passed selection 17th of june... my careers advisor phone me that day and said my start date is 10th January ... so you aren't and won't be the only one.... and besides use the gap to work on your fitness... i know i will be!!

Syn :)
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There's a surprise, dont the monkeys do shpellung tests anymore?